[comp.sys.mac.misc] mouse repair/replacement

pas1@unhd.unh.edu (Paul A Simoneau) (02/20/91)

Hi all,

    Someone posted an article about a week ago about replaing faulty
mac mice.  They mentioned that if the mouse's serial number started
with AP, then it could be replaced for free by a dealer.
    I have the same problem with my mouse and its serial number does start
with AP. My local dealer says he never heard of this replacement arrangement.
Can someone please help me ?

Thanx in advance.
Paul A. Simoneau          | "Well, this one goes to eleven."
pas1@unhd.unh.edu         |         - Nigel Tuffnel, Spinal Tap
Phi Kappa Sigma brother, CS major, guitarist-at-large, Monty Python addict.

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (02/20/91)

pas1@unhd.unh.edu (Paul A Simoneau) writes:

>    Someone posted an article about a week ago about replaing faulty
>mac mice.  They mentioned that if the mouse's serial number started
>with AP, then it could be replaced for free by a dealer.
>    I have the same problem with my mouse and its serial number does start
>with AP. My local dealer says he never heard of this replacement arrangement.

I'd like to know too. I'm beginning to wonder if it was a baseless rumor
or pointed misinformation because my dealer not only said he couldn't
find out any mention of it but when I told him the the bit about the
serial number starting with AP he said "yeh, they mostly all begin with
AP."
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

bhanafee@deimos.ads.com (Brian Hanafee) (02/21/91)

In article <dana.667020902@are> dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:

   pas1@unhd.unh.edu (Paul A Simoneau) writes:

   >    Someone posted an article about a week ago about replaing faulty
   >mac mice.  They mentioned that if the mouse's serial number started
   >with AP, then it could be replaced for free by a dealer.
   >    I have the same problem with my mouse and its serial number does start
   >with AP. My local dealer says he never heard of this replacement arrangement.

I posted that.  After I got a couple of email questions about it, I
went back to the dealer who told me about the problem (and replaced my
mouse).  The tech told me that it was *not* official; somebody at
Apple had mentioned a problem (he wouldn't tell me who), and my dealer
was now replacing the mice with no questions asked.  Since he had
immediately replaced it when he saw the serial number, I incorrectly
assumed that it was official.  I should have checked.  I apologize for
the problems my post caused.  (I still think Apple has a problem with
their mice.)

Brian Hanafee

russ@convex.COM (Russell Donnan) (02/22/91)

In article <BHANAFEE.91Feb20102747@deimos.ads.com> bhanafee@deimos.ads.com (Brian Hanafee) writes:
>In article <dana.667020902@are> dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:
>I posted that.  After I got a couple of email questions about it, I
>went back to the dealer who told me about the problem (and replaced my
>mouse).  The tech told me that it was *not* official; somebody at
>Apple had mentioned a problem (he wouldn't tell me who), and my dealer
>was now replacing the mice with no questions asked.  Since he had
>immediately replaced it when he saw the serial number, I incorrectly
>assumed that it was official.  I should have checked.  I apologize for
>the problems my post caused.  (I still think Apple has a problem with
>their mice.)

My mouse died recently (it was three weeks old.)  I took it to my local Apple
dealer who cheerfully replaced it with a new one.  Yes, I know that it was
still under warranty and they had to do that, but the tech that gave me the
new mouse said that they order quite a few extra mice because this happens
a lot.  I was lucky, I got the last one from the current month's shipment.
Anyway, I tried it out to make sure it worked and promptly shelved it.
I now use a Kensington Turbo Mouse.  (Turbo is better than non-Turbo ;-)

-Russ
--
Russ Donnan, (214) 497-4778, russ@convex.com
Convex Computer Corporation, 3000 Waterview Parkway, Richardson, TX