[comp.sys.mac.misc] Macintosh Warranty

jeffh@ns.uoregon.edu (Jeff Hite) (02/23/91)

In article 91052.223304STREATER@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>The potential implications of this are obviously fairly serious so I took a
>careful look at the paperwork that came with my IIsi. I looked at the
>warranty, and the relevant phrase would seem to be: "This warranty does not
>apply ... if the product has been modified without the written permission of
>Apple." The question then becomes, what does "modified" mean in this
>context?

>I looked carefully through two booklets that came with my system, "Special
>Features of Your Macintosh IIsi" and "Setting Up Your Macintosh IIsi". The
>"Special Features" book explains on pages 13-14 about the expansion slot and
>cards, and refers to the other booklet for installing such cards. It
>refers <to different RAM configurations on pages 20-21.

Unfortunately upgrading SIMM's in ANY Macintosh voids the limited
warranty.  The LC and IIsi are rather easy to do, so it remains to be seen
if Apple relaxes the rule on this.  So far they have not.

Jeff Hite   KF7SZ
Service Manager
Computing Center,  U of Oregon
Phone: 503.346.4403
Internet: jeffh@ns.uoregon.edu
Disclamer:  Any semblance of statements made here to reality are directly
proportional to the uncertainty principle.