[comp.sys.mac.misc] Where do I get 4-meg SIMMS?

In article <8477@plains.NoDak.edu> fleckens@plains.NoDak.edu (Clint Fleckenstein) writes:

>On an unrelated note...my Apple dealer says the Energizer
>Bunny init is a trojan horse.  Could someone shed some light
>on this?  Sounds like a neat toy (if it's not a boobytrap).

Considering that it appeared on the Developer CD and the author is known, I
doubt it.  It does contain instructions on making it into a Trojan Horse (i.e.
name it 'LaserWriter Prep'), but even so, that simply allows you to put the
bunny up on the victims screen, not destroy his data.

STREATER@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (415) (02/23/91)

> 2 4-meg SIMMS

You cannot only partially populate the SIMM slots in the IIsi. All have to
contain the same type of SIMM, you cannot leave some empty.

hades@othello.dartmouth.edu (Hades) (02/23/91)

fleckens@plains.NoDak.edu (Clint Fleckenstein) writes:

>I have ditched my LC plans in favor of a IIsi.  There is only
>500 dollars difference between the two thru my educational
>package.  If it's going to cost me 5/80 prices to add more
>memory to a 2/40, I'll get the 5/80.  So....

I find that to be a very interesting situation, mainly because the situation
here at Dartmouth has the price difference for the 2/40 versions at $820, and I
have always thought that we had some of the best prices in the country. Of
course I could be wrong. I currently have an LC on my desk and I love the
little thing. I thing apple went a little overboard with the low profile look
but other than that its impressivley solid. Due mostly to the 16mHz '020 which
I always though was a great chip, just not as much hype as the '030.

>How much would I expect to pay for 2 4-meg SIMMS?  What
>is a reputable place/brand, and does installing them void
>the warranty?

The prices on 4meg simms is comming down quite fast. The going rates from
MacWeek range from $175 - $215 for 80ns. I have always liked Chip Merchant and
Memory Plus (the latter because they take University P.O.'s) Yes, if you
install them yourself you will void the warranty on your mac. Its usually best
to have a dealer or service person do the installation. Its not always as easy
as you might think.

>Sorry so many questions (net bandwidth too)...but I haven't
>been a computer hobbyist since the days of integer cards,
>AppleCats, and 2600 hz tones :)

Jeez, that's quite a while ago..... ;->

>On an unrelated note...my Apple dealer says the Energizer
>Bunny init is a trojan horse.  Could someone shed some light
>on this?  Sounds like a neat toy (if it's not a boobytrap).

Haven't heard anything about it, but that sounds like a cute idea.

|                             Hades || Mac Database Admin.                    |
|                   Brian V. Hughes || CALGB Central Office                   |
|       hades@Dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU || Dartmouth Medical Center               |
|            "No no, it's not who ya know.... it's who _I_ know."             |