[comp.sys.mac.misc] I need keyboard equivalent for simple things

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (02/20/91)

lrogers@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Larry Rogers) writes:

>	We have several Macs without mice.  Could some kind soul send me the
>keyboard equivalent for doing things like selecting a disk, opeining a folder,
>and opening one of several file.

Macs without mice!!! Gosh Larry that's like, I don't know, running
PC's without 640K limits, Unix without a keyboard, or ...  8)  8)

Seriously though, I've always wished one had more of a choice to mouse
or not to mouse with a Mac and having to use the mouse to open files
and folders and select disks in the Finder is sometimes a drag.
The only option you have (without some kind of special utility add-on)
is to use mouse keys. Look in your mac manual for an explanation of
how to use mouse keys. In case the guy who sold you your mac wasn't
able to get a manual either ;-) the way you use mouse keys is to hit
command-shift and clear (on the keypad); after that the keypad keys
held down will move and click the mouse as follows: 4 and 6 move it
left and right, 8 and 2 up and down, and 5 clicks it.

Another possibility for mouseless access is to do something like define
a QuicKey for transfer and then use Boomerang in its mouseless mode
to access files and disks in the standard file dialog box. I'm sure
others could come up with their favorite kluge for this too, but the
only official Apple way would be mouse keys (and there are those of us
who say that's a pretty klugy way to go too).

Or, hey, better yet, get a mouse!

--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/24/91)

> lrogers@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Larry Rogers) writes:

> We have several Macs without mice.  Could some kind soul send me the
> keyboard equivalent for doing things like selecting a disk, opeining a
> folder, and opening one of several file.

Use "EasyAccess".  It is included with your Mac system software.
Check you Mac manual to see how to use it.  Easy Access was designed
to allow handy capable users to work with a Mac without a mouse.

-john-
John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john