[comp.sys.mac.misc] avoid IM DA 2.0

kofoid@bioscience.utah.edu (Eric Kofoid) (02/20/91)

I think that the following message, which I recently posted to Info-Mac
Digest V9 #42, is of interest to the readers of this group:

>Sak Wathanasin writes:
>>
>>Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 09:49:05 GMT
>>From: Sak Wathanasin <sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk>
>>Subject: [*] IM DA 2.0 demo

>>attaching the demo version of the Inside Mac DA v 2.0. I am not
>>sending the full version both because of its size, and out of
>>deference to the wishes of the author, Bernard Gallet.
>>
>>I suggest that the version that is now in the archives *not* be
>>deleted since the demo version has a much reduced manual. I do not
>>know if the demo version will work with the v 1.x manual.
>>
>>M. Gallet's addr for those of you who missed it is:
>
>>660 Miller Ave
>>Cupertino
>>CA 95014
>>
>>Best regards
>>Sak
>>

>On 29 September 1990, I sent Bernard Gallet $20 as shareware fee for
>version 2 of InsideMac DA. On 16 November, after receiving no reply, I
>sent a second letter calling this to his attention. To date, I have heard
>and received nothing. Copies of this (one-sided) correspondence are
>available on request. On UseNet, others have registered similar
>complaints. It seems that if you send him money, it enters a black hole.
>
>IM DA is a wonderful program. However, I cannot morally advise people to
>use shareware without paying the fee. Therefore, I suggest avoiding this
>product until the author learns some simple business ethics.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Eric.

|       Eric Kofoid; Dept. Biology, U. of Utah; SLC, UT 84112      |
|                          (801) 581-3592                          |
|                     kofoid@bioscience.utah.edu                   |
| -- The University of Utah is blameless for anything I've said -- |
|__________________________________________________________________|

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (02/20/91)

In <1991Feb19.183333.8629@fcom.cc.utah.edu> kofoid@bioscience.utah.edu
(Eric Kofoid) writes:

>>To date, I have heard
>>and received nothing. Copies of this (one-sided) correspondence are
>>available on request. On UseNet, others have registered similar
>>complaints. It seems that if you send him money, it enters a black hole.

  Does this mean there is no way to get the full version of IM DA 2.0 ?
Has anybody seen it? I'm prepared to pay my SW fee, but I won't do it
if I don't get the full version!

2fmlcalls@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.102614.6071@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, cheshire@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Stuart David Cheshire) writes:
> I too have written twice to Bernard Gallet about getting IM DA 2.0, and I have
> heard nothing either.
>
> Stuart Cheshire (cheshire@cs.stanford.edu)

Someone the other day sent me a letter (snail) verifying that in fact I'm at
the same address before sending me a check for source code.  With this IM DA
2.0 problem, it occurred to me that this person had a pretty good idea.

I would suggest that anyone expecting to send shareware money to an author in
hopes of receiving something in return - try sending a letter first explaining
that a shareware 'order' will follow if the author responds.  Unless you need
'it' in a hurry, this should save some anger.

Now, if the author responds, "Sure, send the check..." and THEN doesn't follow
through, roast 'em.

john calhoun