[comp.sys.mac.misc] Macintosh Jr?

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (02/22/91)

Last weekend, during Saturday Night Live, I saw this outragiously funny
commercial advertising the Macintosh Jr.  At the time, I thought it was
a real commercial, but no one seems to know anything about such a product.

Did anyone else see the commercial?

Does anybody know for sure if it's a real product?

I might add that it was probably the best computer ad I've ever seen.
--
 "I'm sorry.                            |    Il Hwan Oh
  If you were right,                    |    University of Washington, Tacoma

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (02/22/91)

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) writes:

>Last weekend, during Saturday Night Live, I saw this outragiously funny
>commercial advertising the Macintosh Jr.  At the time, I thought it was
>a real commercial, but no one seems to know anything about such a product.

>Did anyone else see the commercial?

>Does anybody know for sure if it's a real product?

>I might add that it was probably the best computer ad I've ever seen.
>--
> "I'm sorry.                            |    Il Hwan Oh
>  If you were right,                    |    University of Washington, Tacoma
>  I would agree with you."              |    iho@cac.washington.edu
>   -- Dr. Malcolm Sayer, _Awakenings_   |

Well, it was outrageously funyny, but it was NOT a real product.

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (02/22/91)

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) writes:

>Last weekend, during Saturday Night Live, I saw this outragiously funny
>commercial advertising the Macintosh Jr.  At the time, I thought it was
>a real commercial, but no one seems to know anything about such a product.

>Did anyone else see the commercial?

>Does anybody know for sure if it's a real product?

>I might add that it was probably the best computer ad I've ever seen.

NO!!  It was an SNL fake-commercial!  (It was spelled McIntosh Jr.).

sheesh.......

--
"Swing is a feeling... Everything else is just style."
				--Capt. Swing

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

derek@coco2.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.230246.14408@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>
jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) writes:
>iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) writes:
>>Last weekend, during Saturday Night Live, I saw this outragiously funny
>>commercial advertising the Macintosh Jr.  At the time, I thought it was
>>a real commercial, but no one seems to know anything about such a product.
>
>>Did anyone else see the commercial?
>
>>Does anybody know for sure if it's a real product?
>
>NO!!  It was an SNL fake-commercial!  (It was spelled McIntosh Jr.).

I was rolling... "The Power to Crush the Other Kids"  ohmygawd... hahaha!

It was done impeccably in the style of every Mac "boardroom" commercial
I've seen.  They must have watched a ton to get it right.  The backwards
Apple logo was priceless, too.

Their other fake ad was a cute, if silly, "Happy Fun Ball!"  ("Happy Fun
Ball contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be
touched, inhaled, or looked at." "Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly,
and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball."
"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball")  Heh heh heh...

>jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

                                               Derek L.
--
Apple's Marketing Staff:  The Power to Beat IBM With a Blunt Object

derek@leah.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) writes:
.jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) writes:
>>iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) writes:

[original question about McIntosh Jr. deleted]

>>NO!!  It was an SNL fake-commercial!  (It was spelled McIntosh Jr.).

>I was rolling... "The Power to Crush the Other Kids"  ohmygawd... hahaha!

Well, my favorite line was, "Our dads just got us stupid computers."  Or
something like that.

--
 "I'm sorry.                            |    Il Hwan Oh
  If you were right,                    |    University of Washington, Tacoma
  I would agree with you."              |    iho@cac.washington.edu
   -- Dr. Malcolm Sayer, _Awakenings_   |

curfmanm@darkstar.cs.orst.edu (Matthew Curfmanm) (02/22/91)

Who was the guest star for SNL when this 'commerical' aired.  I'd be
interested in keeping my eye out for it in some future repeat so I could
see it!

Matt Curfman                                           Oregon State University
curfmanm@darkstar.cas.orst.edu             Extension Computing Technology Unit
                         Standard Disclaimer Applies

bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/22/91)

In article <16929@milton.u.washington.edu> iho@akbar.UUCP (Il Oh) writes:
>derek@leah.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) writes:
>.jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) writes:
>>>iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) writes:
>>>NO!!  It was an SNL fake-commercial!  (It was spelled McIntosh Jr.).
>>I was rolling... "The Power to Crush the Other Kids"  ohmygawd... hahaha!
>Well, my favorite line was, "Our dads just got us stupid computers."  Or
>something like that.

Huh?

Since I can never catch SNL, I kinda missed this one, but because I'm
an Apple affecionado, I'd like very much to know what I missed!  WOuld
some enterprising soul give a transcript of what went on?

Thanks!

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

patten@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian Michael Patten) (02/22/91)

For those looking for the repeat (and this SNL commercial was well
worth it), the guest host was Rosanne Barr and the musical guest
was DeeLite (sp?).

The commercial was in the last third of the show.  I plan to tape it
myself :-)

Brian
patten@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu                         Future site of
Institute for Astronomy                               a really clever
University of Hawaii at Manoa                         .sig quote ;-)

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (02/22/91)

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) writes:

>Well, my favorite line was, "Our dads just got us stupid computers."  Or
>something like that.

Mine was, "You mean _YOU_ did _THIS_ on your _COMPUTER_???"

... and the nuclear bomb explosion....  if only Apple would be so
innovative (instead of the helocars!!)...

Jeff

--p.s. - i wonder what the motivation was for McIntosh instead of
Macintosh.... hmmm....................

--
"Swing is a feeling... Everything else is just style."
				--Capt. Swing

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

rec@ngss1.jhuapl.edu (Rich Campbell x6334) (02/22/91)

	For those of you who want to catch this commerical the second time
around, it came on about 55 minutes into the show.  The guest host was
Roseanne Barr.

Rich Campbell
campbell@capsrv.jhuapl.edu

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/24/91)

In article <16897@milton.u.washington.edu> iho@akbar.UUCP (Il Oh) writes:
> Last weekend, during Saturday Night Live, I saw this outragiously funny
> commercial advertising the Macintosh Jr.  At the time, I thought it was
> a real commercial, but no one seems to know anything about such a product.

That was the first time I watched SNL for about 2 years.  Boy howdy
was the fake Mac Jr. add funny.  I am surprised that Apple has not
sued NBC.

SNL usually has only 1 fake ad, and it is generally very early in
the show.  This program had 2 fake ads, and the Mac Jr. add was
shown very near the end of the show.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (02/25/91)

curfmanm@darkstar.cs.orst.edu (Matthew Curfmanm) writes:

>Who was the guest star for SNL when this 'commerical' aired.  I'd be
>interested in keeping my eye out for it in some future repeat so I could
>see it!

>--
>Matt Curfman                                           Oregon State University
>curfmanm@darkstar.cas.orst.edu             Extension Computing Technology Unit
>                         Standard Disclaimer Applies

Would anyone care to script out the commercial????  I also missed it.

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: P.Gosselin@CAM.ORG Applelink: CDA0585 |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (02/27/91)

I didn't see the original posting on this, but I did see the show.
Macintosh was spelled without the "a," I think.

- Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.  |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |

tuttle@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (David L. Claytor) (02/28/91)

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) writes:

> Last weekend, during Saturday Night Live, I saw this outragiously funny
> commercial advertising the Macintosh Jr.  At the time, I thought it was
> a real commercial, but no one seems to know anything about such a product.
>
> Did anyone else see the commercial?

Yeah, I caught the ad, too, and thought it was very amusing -- primarily
because I was fooled into thinking it was the *real* thing until, that
is, I heard the slogan "Mac Junior - The power to beat the other kids,"
or some such thing.

--
David L. Claytor
tuttle@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jason S. White) (02/28/91)

Well, if it matters, it was spelled without the "a"; it was spelled
McIntosh Jr.  I just wished I taped it! :)

             I paid all of this money for this????
             (My feeling about this quarter)
6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu                  white@sgt-york.lanl.gov
jsw@sbphy.ucsb.edu                        u106703@beta.lanl.gov