[comp.sys.mac.misc] MS-WORD: Shift-option-command-u crashes system

sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (02/28/91)

That's right, on my Mac IIcx,  Shift-option-command-u crashes the
system when you're in MS WORD 4.0.  This is no `freak combination'
of keys:  the command to underline text is Shift-command-u and it's
real easy to press the option key by mistake at the same time.  I've
lost big amounts of text this way!

HAS ANYBODY EVER SEEN THIS PROBLEM BEFORE?  I have been using MS-WORD
on this Mac for 9 months now, and this feature only started happening
recently.  Is there any way this might not be MS-WORD's fault,
like something wrong with my Mac?

Thanks in advance,
Greg Sandell
* Greg Sandell (sandell@ils.nwu.edu)          Evanston, IL USA *
* Institute for the Learning Sciences, Northwestern University *

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (02/28/91)

In article <1025@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) writes:
>That's right, on my Mac IIcx,  Shift-option-command-u crashes the
>system when you're in MS WORD 4.0.  This is no `freak combination'

It doesn't crash my IIci.

>HAS ANYBODY EVER SEEN THIS PROBLEM BEFORE?  I have been using MS-WORD
>on this Mac for 9 months now, and this feature only started happening
>recently.  Is there any way this might not be MS-WORD's fault,
>like something wrong with my Mac?

Have you checked for a virus?

--
X-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-X
X	           David Baird			xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

czinngra@skat.usc.edu (Claude Zinngrabe) (02/28/91)

In article <1025@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) writes:
>That's right, on my Mac IIcx,  Shift-option-command-u crashes the
>system when you're in MS WORD 4.0.  This is no `freak combination'
>of keys:  the command to underline text is Shift-command-u and it's
>real easy to press the option key by mistake at the same time.  I've
>lost big amounts of text this way!
>
>HAS ANYBODY EVER SEEN THIS PROBLEM BEFORE?  I have been using MS-WORD
>on this Mac for 9 months now, and this feature only started happening
>recently.  Is there any way this might not be MS-WORD's fault,
>like something wrong with my Mac?

Greg,

Just after reading you message, I decided to try it out on _my_ IIcx.
Nothing happened, besides the standard system beep.  A previous post
suggested looking for viruses, but I'd suggest looking for an INIT
conflict.  An INIT may be routing that key combination through code
that crashes under.  I'd suggest an INIT called INIT-Tracker to
look for conflicts (I can't remember if it's commercial or not), or
just play around with the INITs you have installed to see if you can
tweak the bug into submission.

Also, what system (finder or multifinder??) are you using, and what
version of Word (4.0d is the latest)?  There may be a conflict at the
system level between your application and Word, or there may be a bug
in your version of Word that was resolved in a later version.

Hope this helps.  If I can be of any further assistance, do not
hesitate to e-mail.

Claude J. Zinngrabe, III  <czinngra@skat.usc.edu>
MicroComputer Consultant
University of Southern California