[comp.sys.mac.misc] ftp.apple.com -- IS IT OPEN?

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (02/28/91)

This is the third time in the past week that I've seen a reference
to downloading from ftp.apple.com.  Is it open?  How do I access it?
My past attempts to get into the "dts" or "cd-rom" directories
have been met with "Permission denied".

Thanks,
 -- Dave

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu) -- Rochester General Hospital Radiology
   (Consultant) and Case Western Reserve Univ. (Psychology/Chemistry)

Prisoner of CHEM 302 & 305 and SMAFU (Situation Marriott, all f***ed up)

calvin@portia.stanford.edu (Peter Chang) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb28.002140.24612@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David
R. Zinkin) writes:

>This is the third time in the past week that I've seen a reference
>to downloading from ftp.apple.com.  Is it open?  How do I access it?
>My past attempts to get into the "dts" or "cd-rom" directories
>have been met with "Permission denied".

	Could someone post the answer to this question? I have had the same
thing happen to me. I can't find the directory called pub anywhere.

	Thanks in advance.

Peter

TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Nobukazu Toge) (03/01/91)

An FTP site apple.com is open and it has directories like /pub/.
A number of Macintosh-related files are in /pub/dts/mac/...

An FTP site ftp.apple.com is there and it lets me in to its root
diectory as USER ANONYMOUS, but not beyond it.  For instance,
I see a directory /dts/ in it,but it refuses an access there.

I _THINK_ I heard that code examples etc from D e v e l o p will
be on either apple.com or ftp.apple.com, but I haven't seen them.
It will be also nice to have latest versions of ResEdit, MacsBug
etc but they are not there.

- Nobu Toge (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center)
- Factual observations or my personal opinions only.
- My employer, Stanford University and U.S. DoE are UNrelated.

bhanafee@deimos.ads.com (Brian Hanafee) (03/01/91)

In article <91059.081430TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Nobukazu Toge) writes:

   An FTP site ftp.apple.com is there and it lets me in to its root
   diectory as USER ANONYMOUS, but not beyond it.  For instance,
   I see a directory /dts/ in it,but it refuses an access there.

You can't get into any directory at ftp.apple.com that doesn't have
"others" execute permission.  This is shown by an "x" in the last
position of the permissions entry.  For example:

drwx------  6 mjohnson archivis      512 Aug 24  1990 dts
         ^
You can't get into dts.

drwxr-xr-x  2 blob     archivis      512 Feb 26 14:49 cd-rom
drwxr-xr-x  6 blob     archivis      512 Oct 22 20:20 nerdtools
         ^
You can get into cd-rom and nerdtools.

Brian Hanafee

ck31+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Bruce Kidwell) (03/01/91)

>Dave Zinkin writes:
>
>This is the third time in the past week that I've seen a reference
>to downloading from ftp.apple.com.  Is it open?  How do I access it?
>My past attempts to get into the "dts" or "cd-rom" directories
>have been met with "Permission denied".

I just tried it and it worked fine for me.  Just ftp to apple.com
(130.43.2.2).  The mac stuff is located in /pub/dts/mac.

Chris Kidwell
ck31+@andrew.cmu.edu