[comp.sys.mac.misc] LATEX for Mac

dredfern@daisy.waterloo.edu (Darren Redfern) (02/27/91)

Hello there, Mac people:

I'm not sure if I'm in the correct newsgroup for this question
but anyway - here goes!

Can anybody out there tell me what (if any) support exists
for LATEX on the Mac.  I can't find any referrence to it in
the Mac magazines.

Thanks alot for any info.  Please email at the following adress:

Darren Redfern
Waterloo Maple Software
dredfern@daisy.waterloo.edu

bell@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.212454.26091@watdragon.waterloo.edu>,
dredfern@daisy.waterloo.edu (Darren Redfern) writes:

> Hello there, Mac people:
>
> I'm not sure if I'm in the correct newsgroup for this question
> but anyway - here goes!
>
> Can anybody out there tell me what (if any) support exists
> for LATEX on the Mac.  I can't find any referrence to it in
> the Mac magazines.
>
> Thanks alot for any info.  Please email at the following adress:
>
> Darren Redfern
> Waterloo Maple Software
> dredfern@daisy.waterloo.edu

Actually, the appropriate place to ask the question would have been
comp.text.tex. In any case, try copying OZTeX via anonymous FTP from
midway.uchicago.edu. I've found it's an excellant PD version of TeX/LaTeX
(although it doesn't have as many fonts available as most minicomputer or
mainframe sites). You can also get (read buy) MacTeX or TEXTURES commercially
if you want to pay for a supported version. Textures is available from Blue Sky
Research (they produce very good products) in Portland, Oregon (1-800-622-8398
or 1-503-222-9571) or from the TeX Users Group (1-401-751-1071). I can't at the
moment find any information on MacTeX. Drivers for Apple LaserWriters and
ImageWriters are included in all of these distributions, and all suport
previewing of the documents. Give it a try!

Ed Bell
National Space Science Data Center
Mail Code 933.9
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Greenbelt, MD   20771
(301) 513-1663
Bell@NSSDCA (Bitnet)
Bell@NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Internet)
NCF::Bell (SPAN)
NSSDCA::Bell

jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.212454.26091@watdragon.waterloo.edu>
dredfern@daisy.waterloo.edu (Darren Redfern) writes:
>Hello there, Mac people:
>Can anybody out there tell me what (if any) support exists
>for LATEX on the Mac.

Blue Sky Research, Portland Oregon, (800)222-9571, sells an excellent TeX for
the Mac called Textures.  They have several support products including LaTeX
and postscript fonts.  I've been using Textures for about two years and can
_strongly_ recommend it.  They also offer excellent phone support.

jdk@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Jim Kinnison) (02/27/91)

Darren Redfern writes:

>>  Can anybody out there tell me what (if any) support exists
>>  for LATEX on the Mac.  I can't find any referrence to it in
>>  the Mac magazines.

OzTeX is available from midway.uchicago.edu (128.135.12.73) via ftp.
--
Jim Kinnison
jdk@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu

Oh, yeah.  Disclaimer stuff

miyazaki@bombay.Berkeley.EDU (Takeshi Miyazaki) (02/28/91)

Jim Kinnison writes:

>OzTeX is available from midway.uchicago.edu (128.135.12.73) via ftp.

But OzTeX needs about 10 floppy disks.
Is there any other option?

Takeshi Miyazaki
miyazaki@ee.princeton.edu

jwwalker@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Jim Walker) (02/28/91)

In article <28818.27cb6c41@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> bell@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
[stuff deleted]
>comp.text.tex. In any case, try copying OZTeX via anonymous FTP from
>midway.uchicago.edu. I've found it's an excellant PD version of TeX/LaTeX
>(although it doesn't have as many fonts available as most minicomputer or
>mainframe sites).
[stuff deleted]

If you know a mainframe site that has some TeX fonts you need, just copy
them over to the Mac.  OzTeX uses standard TeX font and font metric files.
--
  -- Jim Walker 76367.2271@compuserve.com  walker@math.scarolina.edu

espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) (03/01/91)

In article <8447@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu writes:
> Blue Sky Research, Portland Oregon, (800)222-9571, sells an excellent
TeX for
> the Mac called Textures.  They have several support products including
LaTeX
> and postscript fonts.  I've been using Textures for about two years and
can
> _strongly_ recommend it.  They also offer excellent phone support.

I haven't tried any newer version of Textures than 1.2, but I guess you
have used that version, too, if you have used it for two years.  In my
opinion, it is a much too unstable program, it's a shame that an expensive
program like Textures is much less reliable than the free OzTeX.
Actually, I know several people who don't use Multifinder because they
think it makes their machine crash, but there's no doubt that TeXtures is
the guilty one!!

My experience is that Textures (at least up to v.1.2) also gives bad LaTeX
output.  OzTeX prints with better resolution.

After this flame, I'd like to repeat that I have only tried TeXtures v.
0.99 and up to 1.2, and all this may have been corrected with TeXtures v.
1.3.

Espen J. Vestre
Department of Mathematics
University of Oslo