[comp.sys.mac.misc] Sun MacIntosh emulator???

dlc@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Dennis Clark) (02/28/91)

Hey gang,

  This is the information that I have gotten on the Sun Mac emulator, it'a all
that I have received, may it be of some use to anyone out there...

Dennis

Brite Lite/RDI Computer Corp
6696 Mesa Ridge Rd., Bldg. A.
San Diego, CA 92121
(619)944-6381

Brite-lite is a Portable Sparc.  They have a product called
Companion I, which needs a SBUS card to put in the Mac ROMs.
Companion II is a Software-only product.

I got this information while visiting a SUN EXPO in Boston yesterday.
The program seems to be working but I didn't really try much.

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (02/28/91)

On 26-Feb-91 in Sun MacIntosh emulator???
user Dennis Clark@hpfcso.FC.H writes:
>  I am looking for an article that I read that talked of a vendor that has a
>Mac emulator running on a Sun workstation.  I remember something about a 45
>day period where buyers get a plug-in board and the software, then after the
>45 days, only the software was needed.  What I need is the vendor name and
>hopefully the rag in which I read the article (or anyone else read such an
>article.)

This came from an article in MacWeek (I don't recall the date).
Included below are a few key paragraphs:

-----
RDI Computer Corp. is erecting a bridge from Macs to Sun workstations,
announcing software this week that lets users run Mac programs from
SPARC-based systems for the first time.
Companion, which runs under Sun's SunView or Open Windows operating
systems, will work like a Mac SE or Classic by emulating the Mac's 68000
processor, RDI said.
Companion will be available Feb. 1 bundled with an SBus card that
includes a Mac Classic ROM for $1695. A software-only version will be
available in early March for $895...
Schramek added that RDI has not had any legal challenge from Apple
regarding its Mac emulation.
RDI Computer Corp. is at 6696 Mesa Ridge Road, Building A, San Diego,
Calif. 92121. Phone (619)944-6381; fax (619)558-8943.
-----

mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) (03/03/91)

In article <sbn3ble00iV0I2n2x9@andrew.cmu.edu>, ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) wrote:
>Companion, which runs under Sun's SunView or Open Windows operating
>systems, will work like a Mac SE or Classic by emulating the Mac's 68000

>includes a Mac Classic ROM for $1695. A software-only version will be
>available in early March for $895...

	Sounds like AMax-II, except for the price, of course. But this soft
version sounds a bit naff. Reverse engineered ROMs or clean room copy? Hmmm...
--
Mike Rogers,Box 6,Regent Hse,##  Beren was the son of Bereg the son of Etcetera.
TCD,EIRE. <mike@maths.tcd.ie>##				   Caryion "Adnausium"