[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple.com

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/01/91)

What is all the hoopla about?  I have been, and have just done so again,
FTPing over to apple.com for ages.  There is absolutely NO problem
getting into the directories.  I just got a fresh copy of system6.0.7
tools out of /pub/dts/sw.license/blah blah...

It works just fine.  Log in as anonymous and use the password "guest".

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

sie6@quads.uchicago.edu (scott alexander siege) (03/01/91)

OK. You are exactly right. Apple.Com works fine.
For whatever reason there are two ways to log on to Apple.com via FTP.
One is FTP.APPLE.COM and the other is simply APPLE.COM.  When you log on with
the FTP you find that little is available whereas when you use just APPLE.COM
everything is available.
I do not even pretend to understand why this is, it just is.

--Scott

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik A. Johnson) (03/01/91)

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

>What is all the hoopla about?  I have been, and have just done so again,
>FTPing over to apple.com for ages.  There is absolutely NO problem
>getting into the directories.  I just got a fresh copy of system6.0.7
>tools out of /pub/dts/sw.license/blah blah...

I've seen several posters say this.  Please re-examine the original
postings asking about whether Apple's FTP source is open.  Yes the (older)
apple.com is still available, but note that VERY little has been updated
in the last year.  There was a post sometime back (don't remember if it was
someone at Apple or what) that stated that Apple was going to move its
primary FTP source to ftp.apple.com instead of the current apple.com.

As far as ftp.apple.com, last I checked (week or so ago), the dts directory
still denies permission for outside perusal.

Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \ AmericaOnline: ErikAJ

   | As far as Saddam Hussein being a great military strategist ... he is |
   | neither a strategist, nor is he schooled in the operational art, nor |
   | is he a tactician, nor is he a general, nor is he a soldier.  Other  |
   | than that, he's a great military man.                                |
   |            --- General Norman Schwarzkopf, Commander of Desert Storm |

dbert@geech.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Mar1.005538.2270@midway.uchicago.edu> sie6@quads.uchicago.edu (scott alexander siege) writes:
>OK. You are exactly right. Apple.Com works fine.
>For whatever reason there are two ways to log on to Apple.com via FTP.
>One is FTP.APPLE.COM and the other is simply APPLE.COM.  When you log on with
>the FTP you find that little is available whereas when you use just APPLE.COM
>everything is available.
>I do not even pretend to understand why this is, it just is.
>
>--Scott

apple.com and ftp.apple.com are *not* the same machine.  They have different
names and different IP numbers.  If you check out the directory listing for
ftp.apple.com (get the file ls-lR) you can see there is quite a bit more stuff
in the dts directory there than in the one on apple.com.  Quite a bit more.
Perhaps an Apple employee might be able to find out for us if/when that
ftp.apple.com will be fully open for anonymous ftp? :)
Doug Siebert                                     dbert@albert.ai.mit.edu
MBA Student (2nd year)
The University of Iowa

tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) (03/02/91)

There already seems to be confusion over "apple.com" and "ftp.apple.com".
It's going to be impossible to advise someone to "ftp apple.com" without
running the risk of the obvious misunderstanding.

Is there some way to make the two names clearly different, or is it too late?

| EMAIL:       tonyrich@cs.wisc.edu     | The essence of learning is  |
| Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself. | repetition, repetition!     |

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (03/02/91)

Well, there *is* another name for ftp.apple.com (130.43.2.3).
Try using bric-a-brac.apple.com instead.

 -- Dave

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu) -- Rochester General Hospital Radiology
   (Consultant) and Case Western Reserve Univ. (Psychology/Chemistry)

Prisoner of CHEM 302 & 305 and SMAFU (Situation Marriott, all f***ed up)

Timothy.Allen@dartmouth.edu (Timothy Allen) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar2.062552.28274@spool.cs.wisc.edu>
tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) writes:

  There already seems to be confusion over "apple.com" and "ftp.apple.com".
  It's going to be impossible to advise someone to "ftp apple.com" without
  running the risk of the obvious misunderstanding.
  Is there some way to make the two names clearly different, or is it too
   late?

Why does apple have these two sites?  What is the difference between them?  Who
are they for? etc...:)