[comp.sys.mac.misc] Does this exist?

hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (D. Hollinsworth) (02/27/91)

I have the INIT called "Backdrop" which allows you to create a file in your
System Folder called "Screens", containing MacPaint pictures, and it will
randomly pick one of these and display in on your desktop.

My question is:  is there now (or would someone be interested in writing) a
similar thing that could be used for StartupScreens?  By this I mean - you
could create a folder called "StartupScreens", maybe with the documents named
"StartupScreenA" etc., and the INIT would randomly display one of these at
startup the way that the System can do with just one picture.

Insights?  Comments?  Programmers?  What say you?

*Dave Hollinsworth            * With a bit of a mind flip, you're into the time*
*hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu* slip - nothing will ever be the same. - RHPS *
*DISCLAIMER:  Hey, sometimes I don't even believe what I say - why should you? *

sl242030@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) (02/27/91)

In article <12460@ur-cc.UUCP> hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (D. Hollinsworth) writes:
>I have the INIT called "Backdrop" which allows you to create a file in your
>System Folder called "Screens", containing MacPaint pictures, and it will
>randomly pick one of these and display in on your desktop.
>
>My question is:  is there now (or would someone be interested in writing) a
>similar thing that could be used for StartupScreens?  By this I mean - you
>could create a folder called "StartupScreens", maybe with the documents named
>"StartupScreenA" etc., and the INIT would randomly display one of these at
>startup the way that the System can do with just one picture.
>
>Insights?  Comments?  Programmers?  What say you?

	Maybe your version of Backdrop is a little old, but mine will
display StartupScreen-type files as well as MacPaint and all the rest.

	Why don't you give it a try, and if it won't, I'll send you
the updated version.

	Robert Humphrey

**So I don't have a neat signature file. Don't think the less of me**

ron@cai.uucp (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb27.010440.8478@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> sl242030@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) writes:
>In article <12460@ur-cc.UUCP> hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (D. Hollinsworth) writes:
>>I have the INIT called "Backdrop" which allows you to create a file in your
>>System Folder called "Screens", containing MacPaint pictures, and it will
>>randomly pick one of these and display in on your desktop.
>>
>>My question is:  is there now (or would someone be interested in writing) a
>>similar thing that could be used for StartupScreens?  By this I mean - you
>>could create a folder called "StartupScreens", maybe with the documents named
>>"StartupScreenA" etc., and the INIT would randomly display one of these at
>>startup the way that the System can do with just one picture.
>>
>>Insights?  Comments?  Programmers?  What say you?
>>

>	Maybe your version of Backdrop is a little old, but mine will
>display StartupScreen-type files as well as MacPaint and all the rest.
>
>	Why don't you give it a try, and if it won't, I'll send you
>the updated version.
>
>	Robert Humphrey
>
>**So I don't have a neat signature file. Don't think the less of me**

I'd like that INIT as well.  Is there a place I could ftp it?

Ron

sienkiew@nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu (Meta Sienkiewicz) (03/01/91)

The 'Backdrop' init can be found at sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  The version
in the 'init' directory is an older one; a newer version can be found in
the file art/various-macplus-desktops.hqx, along with some interesting
startup screens.  (I like 'Earth', myself.)  I hope this is helpful.

							Meta Sienkiewicz

robbins@blackfin.rice.edu (Thomas Robbins) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar1.075317.18695@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> sienkiew@nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu (Meta Sienkiewicz) writes:
>The 'Backdrop' init can be found at sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  The version
>in the 'init' directory is an older one; a newer version can be found in
>the file art/various-macplus-desktops.hqx, along with some interesting
>startup screens.  (I like 'Earth', myself.)  I hope this is helpful.
>
>							Meta Sienkiewicz

I have been combing every mac newsgroup for several hours now looking
some info on background screens, and this discussion is pretty close.

QUESTION: Does any utility exist that will display 256-color PICT files
as a background? How about for startup-screens? (naming it StartupScreen
only gives you a 16-color image)

Thanks.

--
Tom Robbins                   | "No, it's 'Blessed are the meek.'  I think
robbins@owlnet.rice.edu       |  that's nice, 'cause they really have a hell

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (03/03/91)

robbins@blackfin.rice.edu (Thomas Robbins) writes:
>QUESTION: Does any utility exist that will display 256-color PICT files
>as a background? How about for startup-screens? (naming it StartupScreen
>only gives you a 16-color image)

Yes.  I use DeskPicture, available from BBSs.