[comp.sys.mac.misc] Buy a NeXT pc's are toys

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar2.021130.4991@gsm001.uucp> gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

   The whole point of the Mac is better than.... discussion can be sumed up in:

   "What ever computer you buy you will need support, and I will be the person
   supporting you, therefore it makes sense for you to buy the computer I know."

To bad that it has to be this way for so many people.  However, I
think most semi-intelligent people can learn to use a Macintosh w/o a
lot of support.  Clicking-and-dragging is a pretty easy concept to
learn.

Now if you do have any kind of support or are compuer literate, I say
go with the NeXT.  You get a nice GUI, Unix, horsepower, etc.  There
are enough similarities in the GUI that a Mac user will be up and
running within an hour.  However, I think some knowledge of Unix is
still required for administration.

   It really dosen't matter if the Mac GUI is better than windows (IMHO it is),
   or the 80386 is faster than a 68030 (IMHO it is) or MSDOS sucks (IMHO it does),
   or the Mac OS has too many vestiges of the 128k ram/64k rom days (IMHO it does),
   or they both ain't Unix (whew!!!) or..............

Why do you say the 80386 is faster?  Could you throw a couple of
SPECmarcs our way?  I don't think Apple has ever had the fastest 030
machines.  Look at what Sun did with the 68030.

   Every computer system has its good points and its bad points.

   They all need user support. Why not get the one with the best support?

Some require A LOT more support than others.  You wouldn't happen to
know how I can get 4DOS to use less memory when running under Windows
3.0?  I'm tired of running out of memory on a 6MB Model 70 when
running MS C 6.0.  The MS screw job of IBM is really hurting users.

   This should (IMHO) override any other reason you can give someone when you
   are going to be their captive support person.

You have an entire net that will give you support.  How much more do
you need?

Anyway, many people have purchased PC's(IBMish) because they adhere to
your philosophy.  So, the masses are stupid.

What a comparison:

1991 the year Apple releases System 7.0 and moves the world into the
future.  An 030 Classic would make it a great year.

1991 the year MS releases DOS 5.0 and breaks the 640K limitation?
I think they will fix their crappy File Manager too. -- wow

1991 the year the NeXT critics who always scream, "But it doesn't have
any software," are silenced.  Have you guys figured out why Lotus
wrote Improv on the NeXT with an installed base of < 10,000(at the
time), and not on a machine with an installed base of over 25 million
users?

-Mike

gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (03/04/91)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) comments about my posting...

>You have an entire net that will give you support.  How much more do
>you need?

The post in question was replying to a person who ask about the best
computer for their FATHER.  I assumed he does not have net access. I also
assumed that since the question was being asked, he did not have access to
a good user's group or a good dealer.

>Anyway, many people have purchased PC's(IBMish) because they adhere to
>your philosophy.  So, the masses are stupid.

The masses are not stupid.
The IBM personal computers do their jobs well.  Wordperfect, Ventura, and
Lotus give the Mac a run for its money. Who wants point and click if someone
set up a menu for you and all you have to do is type 1 or 2 or ...?

Many people have a simple job to do and want to know only enough to do it.
If they can do it on a p.c. why buy a Mac? Most people don't
care about whose machine is faster, or which gui is better. All they want
to do is their job.  If someone can show them what to do and answer their
questions, they don't care what platform they use.

Just because someone is not a "computer weenie", dosen't make them stupid.

Are you stupid because you can't talk about the design of your VCR?, or your
car?, or your toaster oven?...................

If "computer" people were the only ones that bought computers Apple would be
selling very little because anyone who wanted a computer would have bought
one already.

>What a comparison:
>
>1991 the year Apple releases System 7.0 and moves the world into the
>future.  An 030 Classic would make it a great year.

What future?  Does System 7.0 really make a quantum leap in operating system
design?  Is the Mac going to become a paragon of operating system functionality?

System 7.0 is an evoluntionay improvement of the original Mac operating
system.  Most of the "new" features have been around for years on other
machines, not many on personal computers though.

When the Mac system provides the functionality of IBM's MVS/ESA along with
it's GUI, then it would be a quantum leap.

I'm not dowing System 7.0, in fact I'm looking forward to it. It's a major
improvement for the Mac, but it does not incorporate things never thought of.

>1991 the year MS releases DOS 5.0 and breaks the 640K limitation?
>I think they will fix their crappy File Manager too. -- wow

I dobut it. MS-dos is to entrenced with in its past to make any real
improvements.

>1991 the year the NeXT critics who always scream, "But it doesn't have
>any software," are silenced.  Have you guys figured out why Lotus
>wrote Improv on the NeXT with an installed base of < 10,000(at the
>time), and not on a machine with an installed base of over 25 million
>users?

Are you going to buy a NeXT? Most people have too many better things to
do with $5000.00 than balance their checkbook. I sincerely doubt that
you will find NeXTs in many people's homes.
|  Geoffrey S. Mendelson  |  Computer Software Consulting    |    Dr.      |
|  (215) 242-8712         |  IBM Mainframes, Unix, PCs, Macs |    Who      |
|  uunet!gsm001!gsm       |                                  |    Fan  too!|
|          WANTED:  PAL VIDEO TAPES (VHS or BETA) inquire within.          |
|                  Especialy "missing" Dr Who Episodes.                    |