[comp.sys.mac.misc] graphing

wilsonbr@frith.msu.edu (Brian Wilson) (03/04/91)

I'm looking for a graphing package for the mac that does more complicated	graphs than the likes of Excel and Cricket Graph can do.  I want a program
that can handle more complicated physics and calculus graphs.  Somthing
that let you enter an equation and then graphed the graph without the user
having to enter specific points would be great.

I've heard something about a program called Mathematica - does it do graphs?
If so it needs a math coprocessor doesn't it?  What Macs come equipped with
one?

If you've used any good graphing packages - your input would be appreciated.
Of course the cheaper the package the better.
Thanks

robbins@arcadien.rice.edu (Thomas Robbins) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar3.214210.10416@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> wilsonbr@frith.msu.edu (Brian Wilson) writes:
>I'm looking for a graphing package for the mac that does more complicated	graphs than the likes of Excel and Cricket Graph can do.  I want a program
>that can handle more complicated physics and calculus graphs.  Somthing
>that let you enter an equation and then graphed the graph without the user
>having to enter specific points would be great.
>
>I've heard something about a program called Mathematica - does it do graphs?
>If so it needs a math coprocessor doesn't it?  What Macs come equipped with
>one?
>
>If you've used any good graphing packages - your input would be appreciated.
>Of course the cheaper the package the better.
>Thanks

One program that sounds like it would fit your needs perfectly is "Matlab".
You can get versions for systems with and without a math coprocessor.
Matlab stands for Matrix Laboratory, and is a interpretive, exptremely
easy to learn language that graphs very well, IMHO.

Here is a Matlab function that will plot f(x)=sin(x):

x=-pi:0.01:pi;  %x is a vector from negative Pi to Pi by 0.01 increments.
y=sin(x);	%note: the semicolon keeps intermediate vectors from being
plot(x,y)	%returned--percent signs indicate comments.
xlabel('x')
ylabel('y')
title('title')

At Rice University, we *require* Chemical Engineering majors to learn this
"language", while encouraging other science/engineering majors to do the
same.

Matlab does much more than mere graphing, of course, and probably could
be considered a full language.

I have also used Mathematica quite a bit. It is VASTLY more powerful, complicated,
$expensive$, and a royal pain in the ass. Like Matlab, you run it by command
line interface, but scripts (or functions) are pretty horrible to use.
Does do symbolic math, though, while Matlab merely plays with numbers.
Mathematica will do symbolic algebra, calculus (including integration!),
and other gee-whiz stuff. Also comes in versions for both co-processor
and without. Would hate life if I had to use either program without
math coprocessor.

Have also seen program called Theorist. Looks neat; recommended by physics
major friend; also symbolic; don't know if it graphs.

--
Tom Robbins                   | "No, it's 'Blessed are the meek.'  I think
robbins@owlnet.rice.edu       |  that's nice, 'cause they really have a hell