[comp.sys.mac.misc] Postscript - Mac to troff

wiley@b11.ingr.com (Dave Wiley) (03/04/91)

We are producing a document using Troff (gack) the illustrations for
which have been produced on the Mac.  Now we are faced with the problem
of embedding the illustrations in the document.  The software we are
using will accept a wide variety of picture formats one of which is
Postscript.  We can make it work with bitmaps, but they don't look good
enough to use.

Capturing the the Postscript output to the Laserwriter allows us to
produce a picture, but the file generated seems to be hardwired to a
particular size and placement.  The Postscipt files generated this way
large enough that editting them by hand is out of the question.

Aldus Freehand claims to generate Encapsulated Postscript, which sounds
like just the ticket, but our postscript drivers choke on it.  Also, the
files generated seem much larger than they really should have to be.
I've heard that Adobe Illustrator produces Encapsulated Postscript, too,
but we don't have a copy.

Has anyone been down this road before?

We have ftp access, but I can't find anything on sumex to help.  Does
anyone know a specific place to look?

If Freehand EPS didn't help, is Illustrator EPS likely to?

Reply however you wish.

Thanks.

dave wiley
Intergraph Corporation
internet:	wiley@b11.ingr.com
usenet:		uunet!ingr!b11!wiley!wiley
voice:		205-730-6390

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar4.141310.3591@b11.ingr.com> wiley@b11.ingr.com (Dave Wiley) writes:
>We are producing a document using Troff (gack) the illustrations for
>which have been produced on the Mac.  Now we are faced with the problem
>of embedding the illustrations in the document.
>I've heard that Adobe Illustrator produces Encapsulated Postscript, too,
>but we don't have a copy.
>
>>If Freehand EPS didn't help, is Illustrator EPS likely to?

Before we began using FrameMaker on NeXTs and Suns, our department
used Illustrator EPS files in troff with few difficulties. I came
here after we had pretty much switched over to Frame, but as far
as I know this method worked well.

You should be able to find an Illustrator EPS file - from Adobe
or a users group - and try it out.
--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *