[comp.sys.mac.misc] What's to become of the SE/30?

epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com (payne edward 01471) (02/20/91)

	I just read in todays MacWeek that there might be plans to release a
68030 version of the Mac Classic.  If (Big if?!!?) this is true, does this
mean that my new SE/30 moving out a la IIcx, II, Plus, etc.?  Opinions?
Comments?  Thanks!

Ed Payne                       |     Harris, GASD     | If I only had more than
epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com    |     Melbourne, Fl    | 3 lines....

gwangung@milton.u.washington.edu (Just another theatre geek.....) (02/22/91)

In article <5551@trantor.harris-atd.com> epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com (payne edward 01471) writes:
>	I just read in todays MacWeek that there might be plans to release a
>68030 version of the Mac Classic.  If (Big if?!!?) this is true, does this
>mean that my new SE/30 moving out a la IIcx, II, Plus, etc.?  Opinions?

	Yes.  Your beloved SE/30 will immediately keel over and die, blowing
all its chips and circuits when they release the '030 Classic.

--
-----
Roger Tang, gwangung@milton.u.washington.edu

In article <5551@trantor.harris-atd.com> epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com (payne edward 01471) writes:

>	I just read in todays MacWeek that there might be plans to release a
>68030 version of the Mac Classic.  If (Big if?!!?) this is true, does this
>mean that my new SE/30 moving out a la IIcx, II, Plus, etc.?  Opinions?
>Comments?  Thanks!

Could be.  But I suspect that if a Classic/30 lacked a slot, it wouldn't go
over too big-- a LOT of people use the slot on the 030, probably a much higher
percentage than use the slot on the SE, because the SE/030 is a II class
machine that 'power users' buy.

howie@triton.tamu.edu (MATT_K_HOWARD) (02/23/91)

>In article <5551@trantor.harris-atd.com> epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com (payne edward 01471) writes:
>>
>>	I just read in todays MacWeek that there might be plans to release a
>>68030 version of the Mac Classic.  If (Big if?!!?) this is true, does this
>>mean that my new SE/30 moving out a la IIcx, II, Plus, etc.?  Opinions?
>>Comments?  Thanks!
>
>Matthew T. Russotto	russotto@eng.umd.edu	russotto@wam.umd.edu
>     .sig under construction, like the rest of this campus.

I haven't read the article but a few things come to mind.

Earlier in MacWeek there was a rumor that the price of the SE/30 might
drop by as much as $1000.  This could happen as early as the roll-out of
the new printers in early to mid-March.  In the past, price drops have
signaled the phase out of a product line and the SE/30 is the "old-man"
of the line.  Its going to happen eventually (to every model).

Maybe you are thinking that you should have waited and bought the
Classic/030.  As we have seen with the IIsi and LC, a numeric coprocessor
is not likely to be included with a Classis/030. There might not even be
a socket for one.  For me, a coprocessor is not an optional: it is
a requirement.  I submit that unless you only run a word processor
that a coprocessor should be considered a necessity.

In short, I think the SE/30 with it's slot and coprocessor is a superior
machine than what the Classic/030 may turn out to be.  Your SE/30 is a
strong performer, easily expanded, and a good value even at the current
price and like all computers -- a lousy investment.  With computers one
should get use to the idea of large and rapid depreciation.  The only
defense is to find some way to make money with it.

Matt

Nose skyward and tell your IBM friends; "A Macintosh is *not* for everyone."

czychi@bernina.ethz.ch (Gary Czychi) (02/23/91)

I think Apple is planning to release a *SE/40* shortly after the Tower Mac
comes out. This would be only natural.

For my part, I'm just waiting for this machine to upgrade my SE/30.

Gary

    Gary T. Czychi                University of St.Gallen, Switzerland

    czychi@csghsg52.BITNET  or  czychi@alpha.unisg.ch (preferred host)
            czychi@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP   (CZYCHI@ETHZ.uucp)
		      Tel.: --41 / 71 / 57 17 22
                                   -

norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Norton Chia) (02/24/91)

In article <5551@trantor.harris-atd.com> epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com (payne edward 01471) writes:

>	I just read in todays MacWeek that there might be plans to release a
>68030 version of the Mac Classic.  If (Big if?!!?) this is true, does this
>mean that my new SE/30 moving out a la IIcx, II, Plus, etc.?  Opinions?
>Comments?  Thanks!

>Ed Payne                       |     Harris, GASD     | If I only had more than
>epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com    |     Melbourne, Fl    | 3 lines....

You guys may be dismayed, but I believe my SE/30 *is* the Classic with '030.
As the next 12 to 18 months go by, you'll find eventually the entire Apple
line-up shift down in price while maintaining the performance. Probably in
two years' time, the SE/30 will cost as much as the Classic today. That means
the SE/30 will be the next Classic. Do not forget there will always be, in
the forseeable future, a Mac in the Classic shape. Altho' I really *love* my
SE/30, it will be replaced by a Mac IIsi (I need the colour!) and I will
miss my SE/30 at least until the '030 portable comes out later in the year!!
--
****  My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public :^( ****
Norton Chia	||  My address is norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au

rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Williams RD) (02/27/91)

In <5551@trantor.harris-atd.com> epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com (payne edward 01471) writes:

>       I just read in todays MacWeek that there might be plans to release a
>68030 version of the Mac Classic.  If (Big if?!!?) this is true, does this
>mean that my new SE/30 moving out a la IIcx, II, Plus, etc.?  Opinions?
>Comments?  Thanks!

What the hell is the point of them doing that?  Reduce the expansion capability
of the machine to zero and the RAM upgrade path considerably?  The SE/30 is
sold as a classic machine with the extra performance needed to work with big
spreadsheets etc. => A business machine.  Now won't alot of those business
users want to be able to plug their SE/30 into large monitors at work, and have
the possibiblity of upgarding to 16+ Megs RAM in the next couple of years?

What Apple should do is revise the SE/30 with a 32 bit clean ROM, replace the
second ADB port with a sound input connector and give the internal screen a
proper 8bit greyscale performance.  If they'd done that a few months ago, I
might even have bought one!

Richard Williams,                                  |
Department of Electronics and Computer Science,    |
Southampton University,                            |  EMAIL ADDRESS:
Highfield,                                         |  rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Southampton.                                       |

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (03/07/91)

When (if) Apple releases a SE/40, I hope I can upgrade my SE. Maybe I
should wait a while before upgrading to a SE/30... (I don't need it yet..)
-Brent