[comp.sys.mac.misc] Disinfectant/INITPicker interaction ?

miket@adiron.UUCP (Mike Tollerton) (03/07/91)

Can anyone explain why the Disinfectant INIT icon appears twice
when INITPicker is being used? Is this a problem, and what should
I do to get both working together?

I have observed the condition on a variety of Macs from 512 to ci, all
using system 6.0.2 or later. Disinfectant seems to work OK, but there
may be two versions being loaded, which would just waste space. I have
tried to disable Disinfectant from INITPicker, in the hopes that it was
somehow loading itself the second time outside of INITPicker, but that
just ended up completely preventing Disinfectant from loading (boo-hiss).

While this is probably no big deal, it doesn't seem right, and I am reluctant
to buy INITPicker (even if it does some neat things I want) if there is any
chance that it will interfere with my favorite virus protection.

------------------

Mike Tollerton
PAR Technology Corp		uunet!adiron!miket
220 Seneca Turnpike		(315) 738 - 0600
New Hartford  NY 13413

jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (03/08/91)

In article <3222@adiron.UUCP> miket@adiron.UUCP (Mike Tollerton) writes:
> Can anyone explain why the Disinfectant INIT icon appears twice
> when INITPicker is being used? Is this a problem, and what should
> I do to get both working together?

This problem is due to an error in early versions of InitPicker, which
didn't like INITs whose names began with a special character.  The error
was fixed in InitPicker 2.0.  You should upgrade to 2.0.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu