[comp.sys.mac.misc] 32 bit clean ROMs for SE/30?

rapp@sunMg.tellabs.com (Chuck Rapp) (03/06/91)

Upon reading MacWeek's 2 part article on MacOS 7.0, I discovered that
the SE/30 will be able to access at most 14MB of memory. Since I
need to access more than 14MB in my work (I use Macintosh Allegro
Common Lisp, need I say more?), I wonder if:

	1) I might be able to get a hold of 32 bit clean ROMs for
	   my SE/30 and
	2) Once properly installed, will my SE/30 and assorted software
	   function.

Please email me your replies. If others are interested in the answers,
I will send them your answers or, in the case of great interest, post
them.

| Chuck Rapp	BALR Corporation		     rapp@balr.com            |
|               Oakbrook, IL                   also: rapp@tellab5.tellabs.com |

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (03/07/91)

In article <5476@tellab5.tellabs.com> rapp@sunMg.tellabs.com (Chuck Rapp) writes:
> [The classic question - 32-bit clean ROMs for the SE/30?]

	Yet another one of those questions that's been bouncing around
for awhile without an answer.  I finally managed to find something
out, though, on ZMAC (That's MacWEEK's forum on Compuserve).

	It seems that Chris Espinoza of Apple (he's the head of the
System 7.0 project) has gone on the record last January as saying that
there will not be a ROM upgrade for the sole purpose of providing
32-bit memory addressing.  He stated that he believes that users would
expect more than that from a ROM upgrade.

	Read as: Apple doesn't think that making a ROM upgrade just to
let SE/30 and IIcx users address > 14 Mb RAM is worth the trouble.

	Let's hope they find other reasons to give a ROM upgrade.

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.151644.24339@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>>	Read as: Apple doesn't think that making a ROM upgrade just to
>>let SE/30 and IIcx users address > 14 Mb RAM is worth the trouble.
>>
>>	Let's hope they find other reasons to give a ROM upgrade.

	How about false advertisement?  When I bought my SE/30 all the
brochures said that it could use up to 128 megs of RAM with larger
SIMMS and an updated OS.  They didn't mention that they botched the
ROMS in the machine and weren't planning on upgrading them.  The
greater memory limit is one of the reasons why I bought the machine.
14 Megs is just not enough.

	---Todd

--
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

In article <1991Mar7.151644.24339@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>In article <5476@tellab5.tellabs.com> rapp@sunMg.tellabs.com (Chuck Rapp) writes:
>> [The classic question - 32-bit clean ROMs for the SE/30?]
>
>	Yet another one of those questions that's been bouncing around
>for awhile without an answer.  I finally managed to find something
>out, though, on ZMAC (That's MacWEEK's forum on Compuserve).
>
>	It seems that Chris Espinoza of Apple (he's the head of the
>System 7.0 project) has gone on the record last January as saying that
>there will not be a ROM upgrade for the sole purpose of providing
>32-bit memory addressing.  He stated that he believes that users would
>expect more than that from a ROM upgrade.

Lemmee get this straight:  A user should expect more from a ROM upgrade than
that it increases his maximum available memory from O(10 MB) to O(5 GB)?
I mine 600 wells, and whaddo I get?  Another day older and deeper in debt!
	--- Saddam Hussein.

m_herodotus@csc32.enet.dec.com (Mario Herodotus) (03/08/91)

In article <91964@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R
Johnson) writes:

>	How about false advertisement?  When I bought my SE/30 all the
>brochures said that it could use up to 128 megs of RAM with larger
>SIMMS and an updated OS.  They didn't mention that they botched the
>ROMS in the machine and weren't planning on upgrading them.  The
>greater memory limit is one of the reasons why I bought the machine.
>14 Megs is just not enough.

	I gotta agree with that, I bought my machine with the idea that I
could use more than 14meg.  As a matter of fact the way they are set up
I can't really use 14meg even.  If I buy 4meg SIMMs I waste 2meg (no thanks
I don't want a 2meg RAM disk), or I'm stuck at 8meg max.  If apple thinks
that just an increase in maximum memory is not enough of an upgrade, they
should read this group.  Most owners of SE30's and IIcx'x are screaming for
that.  They could add the CommTool box to the ROM if they think that would
make it a real upgrade.

	If anyone at Apple cares, I want my cx to have 32bit clean ROMS
like I was lead to believe it had.

--

Mario

-
      I can't afford my own opinions, and DEC won't pay for them either.
-
Mario Herodotus   [ CX03 1/K3 ]   |        m_herodotus@coors.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation     |
Customer Support Center           | - or - m_herodotus%coors.dec@decwrl.dec.com
305 Rockrimmon Blvd.              |
Colorado Springs, CO 80919        | - or - ...!decwrl!coors.dec.com!m_herodotus

(800) 525-6570  Ext 25520         |
[direct line (719) 592-5520]      |
-

mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) (03/09/91)

I must agree. I would just love to through in those 32M SIMMS when such
technology arrives. I mean the SE30 is an awesome machine -- fast,
compact, etc. It is my machine in my dorm room and it is exactly what I
need. I would just be a little happier if I could have a little more of
my Mac to love(*).

-- Mike B.

* This has to do with one of their current promo things: "Why do people
love Macintosh? ..... Just ask."

| Michael L Barrow    | "If any of the above offended you, it was     |
| <mlbarrow@mit.edu>  |  my idea to do it -- not MIT's"               |
|     Consultant      | MIT Computing Support Services (CSS)          |
|     Member          | Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)   |
|     Student         | Computer Engineering Major, '93               |