[comp.sys.mac.misc] Co-{processors,computers} for the Mac?

gee@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Thomas Gee) (03/05/91)

Does anyone have some advice/opinions/experiences with the use of co-processors
or co-computers connected to the Mac?  I don't mean 68882's, but
non-binary-compatible machines like the Transputer, i860-based machines, etc.

We're looking for a system that would allow us to obtain almost realtime
responsiveness from a number of computationally-intensive applications.  Some
of the applications are highly serial, and others highly parallel, so we don't
really want something that is wonderful under one situation and pitiful the
next.  Ok, so I'm asking for the moon here.  I'm not done yet.  Ideally the
co-computer would be available through a network (like most supercomputer
setups), although this isn't a requirement.

Any wise comments?

Thanks in advance,
	Tom.

gee@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Thomas Gee) (03/05/91)

Sorry, silly machine forgot my ".signature" on my previous posting.  Here
it is:

---
Thomas Gee  -=-  S/W Development  -=-   gee@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca
Aerospace/Biosciences, DCIEM, CFB Toronto, DND, Canada
Disclaimer: the previous is solely the opinion of the author.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (03/09/91)

You might check into MacIvory from Symbolics...it's $40,000.

It's basically a Symbolics workstation on a card that uses a six-slotted
MacII as a power supply :)

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |