[comp.sys.mac.misc] Just My Opinion: The Macintosh IIsi

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (03/08/91)

>3.  The mouse is absolute crap.  When moving horizontally, sometimes
>it "sticks" at one column, and moving gently back and forth won't get
>it past that column--you have to jerk it.  Keeping the mouse rollers
>absolutely clean helps some.  I'm told it's the fault of the
>lightweight (black) mouse ball, and if you can find a good (gray)
>ball, it works better.

It always astounds me that Apple continues to cut corners on the
mouse.  The first mouse (mac II, SE, '87) had a heavy ball and worked
well.  This was a big selling point of those macs -- better keyboard
and mouse than the Mac Plus.

The second mouse (~89, black ball, lighter) has a sticking problem
(the ball freezes and will not move).  The third mouse ( ? last 3
months ? ) has button that gets stuck when you mouse-down.

The black-ball mouse will work somewhat better with mouse pad.  Maybe
Apple has entered the mousepad business, and changed it mouse design
in order to sell more pads?

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL
"UGH!  WAR! ... What is it GOOD FOR?  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!"
	- the song "WAR" by Edwin Starr, circa 1971

--

francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (03/08/91)

In article <16757@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David
Lee Matuszek) writes:
 [that MacWrite 4.5 dies unexplainedly on a MacIIsi]

Well, don't blame that on the IIsi or System 6.0.7.  MacWrite 4.5
hasn't worked on Mac II's since the original came out.
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

irw1@quads.uchicago.edu (Mark Irwin) (03/09/91)

In article <16757@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
{lots of things he likes about the IIsi - deleted}
>Cons(about IIsi):
>
>1.  A few programs are incompatible.  Some assume that because it's a
>Mac II, it has a floating point coprocessor--those can usually be
>cured by installing the INIT PseudoFPU.  Others tell me I need a Mac
>II to run (!).  MacWrite 4.5 dies for no apparent reason.  (Note: some
>of my problems may be the result of going to System 6.0.7.)  However,
>software manufacturers are scrambling to fix their problems.

{a bunch more stuff deleted}

>-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --

MacWrite 4.5 will not run on any Mac with a 68020 or 68030 as the 68000's
trap command is not compatible with these chips.  Because of this
incompatiblity programs written in MacForth won't run either.

To solve this problem you need to run MacWrite 4.6 or later.  Version 5.0
is really the minimum however as 4.6 is quite buggy.  The best solution
is to upgrade to MacWrite II.  I was able to do this a year and a half ago
for $25 through our University computer store.  I would think anybody should
be able to contact Claris and upgrade quite cheaply.

Mark

--
Mark Irwin
Dept of Statistics, Univ of Chicago

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (03/12/91)

In <1991Mar7.215401.12288@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:

>>3.  The mouse is absolute crap.  When moving horizontally, sometimes
>>it "sticks" at one column, and moving gently back and forth won't get
>>it past that column--you have to jerk it.  Keeping the mouse rollers
>>absolutely clean helps some.  I'm told it's the fault of the
>>lightweight (black) mouse ball, and if you can find a good (gray)
>>ball, it works better.

>It always astounds me that Apple continues to cut corners on the
>mouse.  The first mouse (mac II, SE, '87) had a heavy ball and worked
>well.  This was a big selling point of those macs -- better keyboard
>and mouse than the Mac Plus.

   Apple (according to David Ramsey's coulmn in MacWEEK) is supplying one of
three different mice.  One of them is made in America and is the best.  It has
a heavy grey ball.  I have a Mac IIsi and must be just lucky.  I GOT THE GOOD
ONE!!!

--
| Patrick Hoepfner              |            NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center |