[comp.sys.mac.misc] Translation program for WordPerfect5

sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr p freeman) (03/08/91)

I have a document that was created with WordPerfect 5.0 on an IBM and I would
like to be able to transfer it onto a Macintosh so that Microsoft WORD can cope
with it.  Does anyone know of a translator for Apple File Exchange or some
other way of doing this successfully.  I would like to retain all of the
formatting, etc if possible.

Thanks,

Paul Freeman			Email: sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
Monash University
Caulfield Campus
AUSTRALIA

Cherry@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (J. Michael Cherry) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar8.044752.559@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>
sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  p    freeman) writes:
> I have a document that was created with WordPerfect 5.0 on an IBM and I
> would like to be able to transfer it onto a Macintosh so that Microsoft
> WORD can cope with it.  Does anyone know of a translator for Apple File
> Exchange or some other way of doing this successfully.

MicroSoft has written the appropriate Apple File Exchange modules to
convert WordPerfect 4.x/5.0 files to Rich Text Format (RTF) which can be
read by MS Word. I found the files on AppleLink. It works.

Mike Cherry
cherry@frodo.mgh.harvard.edu
Department of Molecular Biology
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
617-726-5955

ekalenda@cup.portal.com (Edward John Kalenda) (03/12/91)

>I have a document that was created with WordPerfect 5.0 on an IBM and I would
>like to be able to transfer it onto a Macintosh so that Microsoft WORD can cop
>with it.  Does anyone know of a translator for Apple File Exchange or some
>other way of doing this successfully.  I would like to retain all of the
>formatting, etc if possible.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Paul Freeman			Email: sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
>Monash University
>Caulfield Campus

If you have access to a PC (or have SoftPC on your Mac), you should be
able to write the WordPerfect file to RTF format, which Word 4.0 can
read. I'm pretty sure this is how we did it the one time we needed to
do this type of thing.

There are also several conversions floating around on the BBSs which
can convert WordPerfect to Word for the PC, which word for the Mac can
read and write fairly well.

Ed
ekalenda@cup.portal.com
AUSTRALIA

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) (03/12/91)

In article <5938@husc6.harvard.edu> Cherry@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (J. Michael Cherry) writes:
|In article <1991Mar8.044752.559@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>
|sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  p    freeman) writes:
|> I have a document that was created with WordPerfect 5.0 on an IBM and I
|> would like to be able to transfer it onto a Macintosh so that Microsoft
|> WORD can cope with it.  Does anyone know of a translator for Apple File
|> Exchange or some other way of doing this successfully.
|
|MicroSoft has written the appropriate Apple File Exchange modules to
|convert WordPerfect 4.x/5.0 files to Rich Text Format (RTF) which can be
|read by MS Word. I found the files on AppleLink. It works.

Sounds like a good opportunity to make use of comp.binaries.mac!
Not only for this translator, but for any other freeware/shareware AFE
translators, as well.
--
Richard Straka                   |AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
UUCP:     att!ihlpf!straka       |MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane