[comp.sys.mac.misc] TrueType INIT for the Rest of Us!

czychi@bernina.ethz.ch (Gary Czychi) (03/12/91)

This is what Apple writes in a product information about the two new
printers, the LaserWriter LS and the StyleWriter:

"Will Apple make TrueType init available to all System 6.0 users?

Yes and no.  On one hand, we are recommending that people wait and upgrade
to System 7.0 (when it is available) to get the benefits of TrueType as well
as the full package of System 7 benefits.  On the other hand, we recognize
that some people may need TrueType in the interim.  Therefore, we are
exploring ways to make the same TrueType software and fonts that are
shipping with the printers available to other users prior to the shipment of
System 7.0"

WONDERFUL:  I belong to 'some people' and really need it right now. Can I
ftp it from somewhere? If soemone has it, can he send it to me?  Wow!

Thanks a lot, Apple!

Gary

    Gary T. Czychi                University of St.Gallen, Switzerland

    czychi@csghsg52.BITNET  or  czychi@alpha.unisg.ch (preferred host)
            czychi@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP   (CZYCHI@ETHZ.uucp)
		      Tel.: --41 / 71 / 57 17 22
                                   -

gdavis@primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) (03/12/91)

From article <1991Mar11.172259.10962@bernina.ethz.ch>, by czychi@bernina.ethz.ch (Gary Czychi):
> This is what Apple writes in a product information about the two new
> printers, the LaserWriter LS and the StyleWriter:
>
> "Will Apple make TrueType init available to all System 6.0 users?
>
> Yes and no.  On one hand, we are recommending that people wait and upgrade
> to System 7.0 (when it is available) to get the benefits of TrueType as well
> as the full package of System 7 benefits.  On the other hand, we recognize
> that some people may need TrueType in the interim.  Therefore, we are

In the press release announcing the new printers, Apple said that
a TrueType package (INIT, fonts, etc) would be available
immediately (??, soon anyway) through user groups, on-line services,
etc.

Gary Davis

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (03/13/91)

In article <4042@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> gdavis@primate.wisc.edu writes:

>In the press release announcing the new printers, Apple said that
>a TrueType package (INIT, fonts, etc) would be available
>immediately (??, soon anyway) through user groups, on-line services,
>etc.

	Before you all go rushing off to ftp.apple.com, I just checked
the Apple machines.  (bric-a-barc.apple.com and apple.apple.com).
TrueType isn't on either of them... yet.

	Of course, if/when it does show up there, be sure to send a
big thank-you note to Mark Johnson at Apple... the guy who puts the
stuff there.

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."