[comp.sys.mac.misc] HELP!!! Problems with folders!

lim@prls.UUCP (Fredric Lim) (03/07/91)

I am experiencing problems with one of the macs.  it seems i can no
longer access several folders.  when i double click on them i get
the message" unable to open folder ____ file/folder is missing."

i tried accessing the folder through an application but i just bounce
back.  i ran disinfectant (version 2.4) and did not find bugs.  when
i tried to run disinfectant on just the folder, it froze and i had to
hit the programmers key to get out.

anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?  incidentally, doing a get
info on the folder shows that there are zero everything even though
i know there should be stuff in there.

appreciate any help in this matter.

sincerely,
fred lim

burchil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Andrew Burchill) (03/13/91)

In <50890@prls.UUCP> lim@prls.UUCP (Fredric Lim) writes:

>I am experiencing problems with one of the macs.  it seems i can no
>longer access several folders.  when i double click on them i get
>the message" unable to open folder ____ file/folder is missing."

>i tried accessing the folder through an application but i just bounce
>back.  i ran disinfectant (version 2.4) and did not find bugs.  when
>i tried to run disinfectant on just the folder, it froze and i had to
>hit the programmers key to get out.

>anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?  incidentally, doing a get
>info on the folder shows that there are zero everything even though
>i know there should be stuff in there.

>appreciate any help in this matter.

>sincerely,

You might be having problems with the Catalog file information.  I would
suggest getting a utility such as Norton Utilities, or MacTools (this
problem is described here) and recover what you can.
You might try running Apples disk first aid.  This is what the manual for
MacTools suggests when this occurs.

lrobin01@nexus.bison.mb.ca (Lane Robinson) (03/14/91)

In <50890@prls.UUCP> lim@prls.UUCP (Fredric Lim) writes:

>I am experiencing problems with one of the macs.  it seems i can no
>longer access several folders.  when i double click on them i get
>the message" unable to open folder ____ file/folder is missing."

>i tried accessing the folder through an application but i just bounce
>back.  i ran disinfectant (version 2.4) and did not find bugs.  when
>i tried to run disinfectant on just the folder, it froze and i had to
>hit the programmers key to get out.

>anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?  incidentally, doing a get
>info on the folder shows that there are zero everything even though
>i know there should be stuff in there.

It's possible that the folders are too full.  I have had problems of
this nature and had to increase the Finder memory (In Get Info box) and
at one time had to use Disktop to get into the folder.  Even with
Disktop, only a portion of the files would show, as I moved some out,
more would appear.

Lane

Reply to:  lrobin01%nexus.bison.mb.ca@niven.cc.umanitoba.ca