[comp.sys.mac.misc] New SE/30 educational price?

231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) (03/13/91)

Did Apple drop the price of the educational discount SE/30 as much as the
retail price?  I am a desperate student in need of an '030 machine, and if they
price the SE/30 around $1300 (barebones; small or no hard disk, little or no
RAM), me and other student developers could afford to give our MacPlus's the
kiss of death.

_mike gleason

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (03/13/91)

In article <231b3679.668812396@fergvax> 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:

>Did Apple drop the price of the educational discount SE/30 as much as
>the retail price?  I am a desperate student in need of an '030
>machine, and if they price the SE/30 around $1300 (barebones; small or
>no hard disk, little or no RAM), me and other student developers could
>afford to give our MacPlus's the kiss of death.

	Nope.  The SE/30's educational price did -not- change.  If you
keep track of educational -and- retail prices, you'll note that
difference between the SE/30's educational and retail price was far
greater (percent-wise) than any of the other Macs.  The retail price
drop just brings things back into line.

	Besides, if they dropped the SE/30's price considerably, then
it would seriously cut into LC and IIsi sales.  As it is, you can get
an SE/30 2/40, and add on a Micron video card and Apple 13" color
display for just slightly under the price of the IIsi.  Sure, you
don't get the single slot of the IIsi if you go that route (you used
the SE/30's slot for the video, remember?), nor do you get 32-bit
clean ROMs, or the neat-o sound digitizer, but what do you get extra
with this package?

	Two ADB slots (I don't want my mouse plugged into my keyboard)
	Video that uses it's own VRAM (no cycle-swapping)
	Two screens (the 9" B/W and the 13" RGB)
	A "luggable" Mac (detach external 13" monitor)
	A Math Coprocessor (Yay!)

	There's other advantages/disadvantages, but I leave them as an
exercise for the student...

	To return to the point, though, I don't think you're going to
see a -really- inexpensive (~$1500 education) '030 Mac until the SE/30
starts selling at fire-sale prices (flagging impending
discontinuation), and Apple introduces an '030 Classic.

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

jolly@voyager.ece.cmu.edu (John Lee) (03/14/91)

   From: gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
   Date: 13 Mar 91 13:42:17 GMT
   Sender: news@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

   In article <231b3679.668812396@fergvax> 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:

   >Did Apple drop the price of the educational discount SE/30 as much as
   >the retail price?  I am a desperate student in need of an '030

       Nope.  The SE/30's educational price did -not- change.  If you
   keep track of educational -and- retail prices, you'll note that
   difference between the SE/30's educational and retail price was far
   greater (percent-wise) than any of the other Macs.  The retail price
   drop just brings things back into line.

   --
    Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
    The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."
    gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.ed      |          -Rabbit, from
    gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu       +          "The House at Pooh Corner"

--------------------

Are you sure about that?  A recent post on a campus bboard here suggests that
the educational discount price for an SE 30 went down also.  Perhaps it is
local to Carnegie Mellon?  Here is a blurb from the post:

    Mac SE 30/80
    Manufacturer's suggested retail price $3,869 (new price)
    CMU price $2,320 (was $2,745)

John.

francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar13.134217.11746@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

   In article <231b3679.668812396@fergvax> 231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:

   >Did Apple drop the price of the educational discount SE/30 as much as
   >the retail price?  I am a desperate student in need of an '030
   >machine, and if they price the SE/30 around $1300 (barebones; small or
   >no hard disk, little or no RAM), me and other student developers could
   >afford to give our MacPlus's the kiss of death.

	   Nope.  The SE/30's educational price did -not- change.  If you

Are you sure? (Recall that educational prices vary...) I know the
store here can't give me a new price yet; did yours? (I am considering
the posibility you work for them as being essentially equivalent to
their telling you.  :-)

That being said, I agree that it wouldn't be that surprising if it
didn't drop.  After all, they're aiming for market share here; and the
educational market is Apple's stronghold, IMHO.  It'd be like the
Republicans changing their platform specifically to attract the rich.
:-)

   [description of color 030 system]

   don't get the single slot of the IIsi if you go that route (you used
   the SE/30's slot for the video, remember?), nor do you get 32-bit
   clean ROMs, or the neat-o sound digitizer, but what do you get extra
   with this package?

Nor the 20 MHz clock speed, or compatibility with 6.0.7 (apparently)
(and this is very slightly scary--6.0.7 seems to be like 6.0.5 with
some 7.0 features).

	   Two ADB slots (I don't want my mouse plugged into my keyboard)

Why not? On a modular Mac, you pretty much need to anyway, if you want
lots of play on it--it's got to reach further if you plug it into the
back.

	   Video that uses it's own VRAM (no cycle-swapping)

For the external, yes.  (Of course, that's the one that counts the
most, I suppose--8 bits, and larger.)

	   Two screens (the 9" B/W and the 13" RGB)
	   A "luggable" Mac (detach external 13" monitor)

Is this a trivial task? (I've never gotten a good look at an 030 with
an external monitor, so I don't know.)

	   A Math Coprocessor (Yay!)

True--but it wouldn't drive the si's price up that much...

	   To return to the point, though, I don't think you're going to
   see a -really- inexpensive (~$1500 education) '030 Mac until the SE/30
   starts selling at fire-sale prices (flagging impending
   discontinuation), and Apple introduces an '030 Classic.

Probably right.  *sigh*  Despite what I said, the 030 would be my Mac
of choice at this point.  Small, 1-bit screen tends to respond a bit
faster; and the luggability is a major consideration.  A $2,000 030
would tempt me to take out a loan...

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (03/14/91)

In article <JOLLY.91Mar13130908@voyager.ece.cmu.edu> jolly@voyager.ece.cmu.edu (John Lee) writes:
>In article <1991Mar13.134217.11746@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>
>       Nope.  The SE/30's educational price did -not- change.
>
>>Are you sure about that?  A recent post on a campus bboard here suggests that
>>the educational discount price for an SE 30 went down also.  Perhaps it is
>>local to Carnegie Mellon?  Here is a blurb from the post:
>>
>>    Mac SE 30/80
>>    Manufacturer's suggested retail price $3,869 (new price)
>>    CMU price $2,320 (was $2,745)

	I stand corrected.  Forgot to mention that the price for the
SE/30 configured at 4/80 went down.  But the SE/30 1/40 (which is what
most of us bargain hunters are looking at) is still the same -
although the OSU Computer Store will upgrade it to 2 mb RAM for free
-if- you ask them when you purchase your SE/30 1/40 (They've got a
-ton- of 256k SIMMs from previous upgrades that they need to use).