[comp.sys.mac.misc] Problem With My Mac

kaplan@pogo.cs.umass.edu (Alan Kaplan) (03/11/91)

I have an SE/30 and, all of a sudden, the following dialogue box is
continually being posted to my screen:

---------------------------------
| This disk is unreadable:      |
| Do you want to initialize it? |
|                               |
| Eject       Initialize        |
---------------------------------

THere is no floppy in the drive and the message goes away when I
choose either Eject or Initialize.

I have tried rebooting and even rebooting from a different system
disk.

Has anyone ever seen this problem?

--

                             Regards,

                             Alan

                             kaplan@cs.umass.edu

cer2520@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (Curtis E. Reid) (03/13/91)

In article <KAPLAN.91Mar10145800@pogo.cs.umass.edu>, kaplan@pogo.cs.umass.edu
(Alan Kaplan) writes:

>I have an SE/30 and, all of a sudden, the following dialogue box is
>continually being posted to my screen:
>
>---------------------------------
>| This disk is unreadable:      |
>| Do you want to initialize it? |
>|                               |
>| Eject       Initialize        |
>---------------------------------
>
>THere is no floppy in the drive and the message goes away when I
>choose either Eject or Initialize.

That might be due to the fact that your hard disk is going to go bad.  Make a
backup (using such as DiskFit) of your hard disk then run SUM (or other
equivalent utility) to repair the disk.

			Curtis E. Reid
			CER2520@RITVAX.Bitnet                 (Bitnet)
			CER2520@RITVAX.isc.rit.edu            (Internet)

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar12.184539.23336@isc.rit.edu> cer2520@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>In article <KAPLAN.91Mar10145800@pogo.cs.umass.edu>, kaplan@pogo.cs.umass.edu
>(Alan Kaplan) writes:
>
>>I have an SE/30 and, all of a sudden, the following dialogue box is
>>continually being posted to my screen:
>>
>>---------------------------------
>>| This disk is unreadable:      |
>>| Do you want to initialize it? |
>>|                               |
>>| Eject       Initialize        |
>>---------------------------------
>>
>>THere is no floppy in the drive and the message goes away when I
>>choose either Eject or Initialize.
>>

>That might be due to the fact that your hard disk is going to go bad.  Make a
>backup (using such as DiskFit) of your hard disk then run SUM (or other
>equivalent utility) to repair the disk.

I think it's unlikely to be a hard disk problem, because this message only
appears when the floppy disk driver has a problem mounting a newly inserted
disk.  What is probably going on is that the little microswitch in the
floppy drive that senses the presence of a disk is sticking, causing the
Mac to think there is a disk.  Do you hear the floppy drive motor running just
before you see the alert?

Then again, maybe it's cosmic rays.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145