[comp.sys.mac.misc] MacPlus screen on the Blink

jkirsh@contact.uucp (Joel Kirsh) (03/10/91)

My almost-two-year-old Mac plus has recently developed intermittent "black-
outs" (maybe I should be crossposting to sci.med? ;-) )

The entire display goes black, but returns with just a slight tap of the
casing.  Anyone seen this before?  Is it my entire display that's trashed,
or just a flakey connection here or there?  Am I about to be electrocuted
by an improperly connected flyback transformer?

Any and all advice welcome.

Joel

lrobin01@nexus.bison.mb.ca (Lane Robinson) (03/15/91)

jkirsh@contact.uucp (Joel Kirsh) writes:

[more]

> My almost-two-year-old Mac plus has recently developed intermittent
"black-
> outs" (maybe I should be crossposting to sci.med? ;-) )
>
> The entire display goes black, but returns with just a slight tap of
the
> casing.  Anyone seen this before?  Is it my entire display that's
trashed,
> or just a flakey connection here or there?  Am I about to be
electrocuted
> by an improperly connected flyback transformer?
>
> Any and all advice welcome.
>
> Joel

Okay, most likely the problem is a connector on the inside labeled J4.
Check pins 1 and 3 for cracked solder joints or tarnishing.  Resolder
those two points anyway.  If you try it out now and it still doesn't
work, then pissibly the white and orange wires of the analog board to
logic board have lost continuity, check that.

Possibly the pins inside J4 and J7 connectors are just tarnished, you
can buy stabilant and treat the connectors with it.  You want to retard
[more]

corrosion and lower electrical resistance.  An electronic supply outfit
would be able to help you with buying the right thing.

Because you said that when you tap it, it comes back, I put my money on
the connector J4 needing a resolder.  I do servicing for Macs and
that's the single most common fix I do for them.

Lane Robinson
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

P.S.  I tried to email you directly, but it bounced.  I also add in the
obligatory disclaimer to say that I am not responsible for anyone
damaging their computer and/or getting an electrical shock.  Be warned,
tread lightly, wear gloves if possible, and stay away from any
lightning bolt symbols.

Reply to:  lrobin01%nexus.bison.mb.ca@niven.cc.umanitoba.ca

consp22@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) (03/15/91)

Most likely, the constant heating and cooling of the power supply has caused
the solder joints on the analog board on the connector that conects the
alalog board to the logic board to crack.

If you are daring, open up the Mac and take a look.  The same thing happened
to me, I resoldered some joints and it works fine.

    Darren Handler - Senior Computer Consultant - SUNY Binghamton
		 consp22@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu
 Academic Computing Support - The most fun you can have sitting down