[comp.sys.mac.misc] Help! Need screen capture with pull-down menus

ddaniel@lindy.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (03/05/91)

I need something which will allow me to take a picture of the screen
with pull-down menus pulled down.  I'm sure I downloaded some from
sumex not too long ago, played with them and tossed them because I
didn't have much success and not enough need for them to figure out
what I was doing wrong.

Now I can't find them anywhere and (isn't it always the way?) have a
desperate need for them as I'm giving a Mac-networking demo in a week
and a half.  Please if you know where I can find some utility or
something (esp. if you know it works) which will let me do this, send
me a note.

Many, many thanks,

	== Daniel ==

---------------------------
D. Daniel Sternbergh
ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu

TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Nobukazu Toge) (03/06/91)

Daniel -

Give a try on FLASH-IT v.2.1 at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (anonymous FTP).
It's in /info-mac/cdev/ directory.

- Nobu Toge (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center)

#include <StdDisClaimer.h>

miket@adiron.UUCP (Tollerton) (03/07/91)

ddaniel@lindy.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh) writes:

>I need something which will allow me to take a picture of the screen
>with pull-down menus pulled down.  ...

>Many, many thanks,

>	== Daniel ==

>---------------------------
>D. Daniel Sternbergh
>ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu

There is a commercial INIT/CDEV called "Capture" (by Mainstay) that will
do what you want.  It is easy to use, and provides for some cutomizing
of the activation keystrokes.

I have seen Capture in operation, and it appeared to be well-suited
to its purpose.  It seems to work no matter what is visible on the
screen, or what the user is supposed to be doing, so just about anything
can be captured (except system bombs :)).

Sorry I can't help with how to find Mainstay.  Hope this helps.

Mike Tollerton
PAR Technology Corp              uunet!adiron!miket
220 Seneca Turnpike              (315) 738 - 0600
New Hartford  NY 13403

dburr@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (03/07/91)

There is a public-domain INIT called MenuPicture that will patch the current
"screen save" software to allow you to capture screen when a menu is pulled
down.  I can't find it on sumex-aim, so if anyone wants a copy, mail me
your address and I'll batch-mail y'all one.  It's only a few k (less than 10
I think), so it's no biggie.
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_CompuServe:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (03/08/91)

    In article <3170@adiron.UUCP> miket@adiron.UUCP (Tollerton) writes:
    >ddaniel@lindy.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh) writes:
    >>I need something which will allow me to take a picture of the screen
    >>with pull-down menus pulled down.  ...
    >There is a commercial INIT/CDEV called "Capture" (by Mainstay) that will

I like SnapJot from Wildflower Software.  It is a DA and is invoked by
a hot-key.  It can save as PICT or MacPaint and can also reopen a previously
saved image.

Ken Warner

Ken.Knight@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ken Knight) (03/09/91)

>>ddaniel@lindy.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh) writes:
>>
>>I need something which will allow me to take a picture of the screen
>>with pull-down menus pulled down.  ...

  [deleted]
miket@adiron.UUCP (Tollerton) replies:
>There is a commercial INIT/CDEV called "Capture" (by Mainstay) that
>will
>do what you want.  It is easy to use, and provides for some
>cutomizing
>of the activation keystrokes.
>
>I have seen Capture in operation, and it appeared to be well-suited
>to its purpose.  It seems to work no matter what is visible on the
>screen, or what the user is supposed to be doing, so just about
>anything
>can be captured (except system bombs :)).
  [deleted]

Flash-It is another screen capture utility (shareware by Nabu Toge $10)
that will let you capture any portion of a screen including pull-down
menus. You can capture to the clipboard, file, printer, or scrapbook.
It is a very nicely done utility.

  ** Ken **

--

        Ken Knight, Ken.Knight@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org
      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway

rvirta@utu.fi (Risto Virtanen) (03/15/91)

>ddaniel@lindy.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh) writes:
>I need something which will allow me to take a picture of the screen
>with pull-down menus pulled down.  ...

If you don't need colors there is an old (1985) DA called Camera by Keith
Esau...

Flash...