[comp.sys.mac.misc] Will SoftPC ever emulate VGA

hardin@dino.cad.mcc.com (John Hardin) (02/07/91)

Does anyone know of any plans for SoftPC to handle the emulation of
VGA (or Super VGA or MCGA) graphics?  Currently the best (best? :-)
graphics it can emulate is EGA (which is available with the AT/EGA
option package).  Yes?

-jwh
--
John Hardin, MCC CAD Program | ARPA: hardin@mcc.com | Phone: [512] 338-3535
Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720 | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!hardin

smiley@gcc.uucp (Wise men still seek Him) (03/14/91)

In article <HARDIN.91Feb6133758@dino.cad.mcc.com>, hardin@dino.cad.mcc.com (John Hardin) writes:
> Does anyone know of any plans for SoftPC to handle the emulation of
> VGA (or Super VGA or MCGA) graphics?  Currently the best (best? :-)
> graphics it can emulate is EGA (which is available with the AT/EGA
> option package).  Yes?

In my last conversation with an Insignia representative, I asked specifically
about future support for VGA.  The individual could not "officially" answer
but "hinted" that it was in the works...time will tell.

Jim Smiley

tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd A. Green) (03/15/91)

In article <585@gcc.uucp> smiley@gcc.uucp (Wise men still seek Him) writes:
>In article <HARDIN.91Feb6133758@dino.cad.mcc.com>, hardin@dino.cad.mcc.com (John Hardin) writes:
>> Does anyone know of any plans for SoftPC to handle the emulation of
>> VGA (or Super VGA or MCGA) graphics?  Currently the best (best? :-)
>> graphics it can emulate is EGA (which is available with the AT/EGA
>> option package).  Yes?
>
>In my last conversation with an Insignia representative, I asked specifically
>about future support for VGA.  The individual could not "officially" answer
>but "hinted" that it was in the works...time will tell.
>
>Jim Smiley

We recently had an Apple Rep give us a demo on System 7 and a few
other products.  One of them being SoftPC AT/EGA version.  He stated
that there was a 386/VGA version in the works that would run Windows....
though he did say running windows would be a sacrilege on the Mac. :)

Todd
Todd A. Green   "<_CyberWolf_>"  ---> Pascal <- tagreen@ucs.indiana.edu
Unix Systems Administration      ---> Unix <--- tagreen@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Macintosh Systems Administration ---> VMS <---- tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
WCC Office:136.04 phone:855-0949 ---> C <------ tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana
"Friends don't let friends       ---> Mac <---- tagreen@iubacs.BITNET
 Use DOS" - Scott Ostrander      ---> SunOS <-- tagreen@lykos (FTP only)

eaeu137@orion.oac.uci.edu (Andrew Theodore Laurence) (03/15/91)

A while back I asked Insignia Solutions the same thing, only I was asking
about VGA/SX emulation.  The lady I talked to said (informally, of course)
that it was in the works, due in roughly a year.  This was in December.

--Andrew Laurence
  eaeu137@orion.oac.uci.edu

xxmartn@lims03.lerc.nasa.gov (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.162625.19387@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd A. Green) writes...
>In article <585@gcc.uucp> smiley@gcc.uucp (Wise men still seek Him) writes:
>>In article <HARDIN.91Feb6133758@dino.cad.mcc.com>, hardin@dino.cad.mcc.com (John Hardin) writes:
>>> Does anyone know of any plans for SoftPC to handle the emulation of
>>> VGA (or Super VGA or MCGA) graphics?  Currently the best (best? :-)
>>> graphics it can emulate is EGA (which is available with the AT/EGA
>>> option package).  Yes?
>>
>>In my last conversation with an Insignia representative, I asked specifically
>>about future support for VGA.  The individual could not "officially" answer
>>but "hinted" that it was in the works...time will tell.
>>
>>Jim Smiley
>

>We recently had an Apple Rep give us a demo on System 7 and a few
>other products.  One of them being SoftPC AT/EGA version.  He stated
>that there was a 386/VGA version in the works that would run Windows....
>though he did say running windows would be a sacrilege on the Mac. :)

A MAC running WINDOWS???????

Yech...booo.......hssss......

What'll they think of next??  A SUN which can run A/UX ???????