[comp.sys.mac.misc] Early experience with StyleWriter

leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) (03/16/91)

I was recently lucky enough to be able to play with a new StyleWriter
for an hour or so.  Here are my early impressions.

1. Size:  this thing is TINY!  Without the bundled sheet feeder, it's
about the size of a large college textbook -- about 8" high by 10" wide
by 2" deep.  It stands on the narrow end, and you pull out a little
thingy that sits flat on the desk and acts as a stop for paper coming
out of the machine.  With the sheet feeder attached, its depth more or
less triples, and it also gets taller, but most of the height is the
paper itself sticking up.

2. It's QUIET, but you already knew that, since it's an ink-jet.

3. The print quality is very good indeed; in some respects better than
LaserWriter quality.  The resolution is 360dpi, better than standard
laser printers.  That resolution shows up when you print hairlines and
to a certain extent in the crispness of characters.  4-point Garamond
is quite readable. (see below).  The only cases where I could see deviations
from laser printer quality were when fill patterns were used:  you can
see the minor horizontal and vertical excursions from perfect alignment
of each "swatch" of printing made by a pass of the print head.  This
is the same effect you get on a dot-matrix printer, but the errors are
much smaller.  The 50% grey fill pattern shows the effect the worst --
it is just barely visible with other fills.  I judged the "blackness"
to be about the same as "average" laser printing black -- not coal-black
but better than any dot-matrix printer.

4. The ink cartirdge supplied comes with non-waterproof ink.  I don't
know whether waterproof ink is available.

5. It seems to work just fine with ATM 2.0.  It comes bundled with the
TrueType INIT, but I didn't try that.

6. It's (predictably) slow - about 2 minutes for a complete page of text.

7. The margins are fixed at about 1/4" on all 4 sides on standard
8.5 x 11" paper.  (8.5 x 14" is also supported) There's no way
to change the margins -- in fact, the print driver dialogs contain no options
at all -- even "draft" mode is dimmed out, although the printer specs
mention that it does have an internal draft mode.  This is no big loss,
because draft mode is almost as slow as "Best".

8. It comes with a serial interface only, and the cable is INCLUDED with
the printer!  (Nice going, Apple).  It fits the standard mini-8 printer
port.

9. It has TWO manual feed slots -- one in the front for normal paper that
forces sheets through a "U" path, and one at the back with a "straight
through" feed path for stiffer material.  The spec sheets mentions that
you ought to use a good quality rag bond, but I got good results on
ordinary copier bond.  I did not get a chance to try label stock or
heavy stock, but the spec says that they will work ok.

Altogether, I think it's a really nice printer.  I was tempted to order
one.  The suggested retail price is identical to the ImageWriter II --
$595, which means that the "street" price will fall to $500 or less after
quantities get ramped up.  I expect that this machine will become the
standard printer for personal use overnight.  This printer, by the way,
completes my "dream portable setup" -- an LC with a DynaMac LCD screen
and on of these printers (minus the sheet feeder) would make a fantastic
"luggable" system for use on the road -- the only thing else you need
is an internal modem.

-Bill Leue
leue@crd.ge.com

mmcnew@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Monty McNew) (03/17/91)

Anyone know if mail order houses are carrying the Stylewriter yet?  I went
to my local dealer yesterday and was told they are *major* backordered and
they were taking names only.
----
ProLine:  mmcnew@pro-odyssey                               Monty S. McNew
Internet: mmcnew@pro-odyssey.cts.com                       @ Pro-Odyssey
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!mmcnew                         707/437-4734
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!mmcnew@nosc.mil                Fairfield, CA