[comp.sys.mac.misc] TrueType on apple.com

curfmanm@darkstar.CAS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfmanm) (03/15/91)

From: curfmanm@darkstar.CAS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfmanm)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: TrueType on apple.com!
Expires:
Today I noticed that Apple posted the TrueType files to their ftp server at
apple.com.  There are four file, of which you would need three.

truetype-fonts.hqx : The outline fonts and a new version of Font/DA mover.
macintosh-printing-tools.hqx : Various printer drivers for TrueType
stylewriter-installer.hqx    : TrueType init, and installer scripts for Printer
personal-lz-installer.hqx    : TrueType init, and installer scripts for Laser

You need only one of the last two files, as they both contain the TrueType
init.  The above files may have slightly different names, as I am typing
this from memory.  Have Fun!

Matt Curfman                                           Oregon State Univeristy
curfmanm@darkstar.cas.orst.edu             Extension Computing Technology Unit

                   I have no connection with Apple Computer
Matt Curfman                                           Oregon State University
curfmanm@darkstar.cas.orst.edu             Extension Computing Technology Unit
                         Standard Disclaimer Applies

francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar15.082819.19288@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> curfmanm@darkstar.CAS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfmanm) writes:

   Today I noticed that Apple posted the TrueType files to their ftp server at
   apple.com.  There are four file, of which you would need three.

Now that we can get it, does anybody know if anything goes wrong if
you try to use TrueType and your printer is QuickDraw? Does it get
mapped across properly?

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) (03/17/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91Mar15080522@arthur.zaphod.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>In article <1991Mar15.082819.19288@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> curfmanm@darkstar.CAS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfmanm) writes:
>
>   Today I noticed that Apple posted the TrueType files to their ftp server at
>   apple.com.  There are four file, of which you would need three.
>
>Now that we can get it, does anybody know if anything goes wrong if
>you try to use TrueType and your printer is QuickDraw? Does it get
>mapped across properly?

The TrueType distribution comes with Apple's version of Courier, Helvetica,
Symbol and Times. I'm using TrueType and those fonts, plus ATM 2.0 and the
PlusPack Fonts to print to a DeskWriter. No problem with the printing, or
the combination of the two INIT's.

Of the four fonts supplied with TrueType, my opinion so far is:
(1) Helvetica and Times look the same as Adobe's.
(2) Symbol seems to be a bit smoother and some of the characters are fancier.
(3) I MUCH prefer the Apple version of Courier. The Adobe version kept
a "thinness" as it was scaled up, almost as if they were using hairlines
to draw the character at any size. The Apple version scales the thickness
of the lines as the font size increases, so that it matches characters
from other fonts much better.

As far as the size goes, there's not much difference. The Apple font
file is 524,911 bytes, and the same Adobe fonts total to 518,423 bytes.
The advantage of the TrueType fonts is that there are no "extra"
files. All of the fonts and styles are stored in a single Font/DA
Mover file. The distribution comes with version 4.1 of the Font/DA
Mover.

By the way, MasterJuggler works fine with the new TrueType font file,
and even identifies the fonts as "PostScript" fonts.
	Robert

--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (03/18/91)

> The TrueType distribution comes with Apple's version of Courier, Helvetica,
> Symbol and Times.
> As far as the size goes, there's not much difference. The Apple font
> file is 524,911 bytes, and the same Adobe fonts total to 518,423 bytes.

Well, this is perhaps a bit misleading.  Apple does not supply italic
or bold italic variants of Courier and Helvetica.  "Italic" (oblique
is a better word) variants look fine on the screen and printed.
Perhaps someone familiar with TrueType could tell us if there are
standard builtin algorithms for italic, bold, outline, etc.

For you equation writers out there, the TT Symbol font can be printed
in bold even though no bold variant is supplied.  Finally, I can write
things like r X omega and have them look like they should.

Charles Allen                           Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics                   HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
Purdue University                       Bitnet:   cca@fnal.bitnet
1396 Physics Building
West Lafayette, IN  47907-1396          talknet:  317/494-9776

c89andma@odalix.ida.liu.se (Andreas Magnusson) (03/18/91)

I looked in the TrueType(tm) font file and saw that it is stacked with copy-
right messages and multilanguage comments(?).

As I see it
1) Symbol is by Bitstream
2) Times and Helvetica is by Linotype
3) I don't remember about Courier.

But I can't wait till I get 7.0b4 to try out the other fonts. I think that it's
a major improvement to the Mac.

/AndreasOB
--
 _____________________________________  ____________________________________
| Andreas Magnusson                   ||SnailMail:     Andreas Magnusson    |

patten@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian Michael Patten) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar17.135940.22858@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) writes:
>In article <FRANCIS.91Mar15080522@arthur.zaphod.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar15.082819.19288@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> curfmanm@darkstar.CAS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfmanm) writes:
>>
>>   Today I noticed that Apple posted the TrueType files to their ftp server at
>>   apple.com.  There are four file, of which you would need three.
>>
>>Now that we can get it, does anybody know if anything goes wrong if
>>you try to use TrueType and your printer is QuickDraw? Does it get
>>mapped across properly?
>
>The TrueType distribution comes with Apple's version of Courier, Helvetica,
>Symbol and Times. I'm using TrueType and those fonts, plus ATM 2.0 and the
>PlusPack Fonts to print to a DeskWriter. No problem with the printing, or
>the combination of the two INIT's.

I just downloaded all the pieces from apple.com so that I could play with
TrueType and see if I liked it.  So far, I am very impressed with how
TrueType fonts appear on the screen.  I agree that the symbols font looks
nicer than the Adobe version.  However...

If you are one of the people like myself who are hooked into a Unix system
via a terminal server, there are a couple of major drawbacks to the new
LaserWriter6.1 driver and TrueType.

The new LaserWriter driver has a radio button that allows you to select a
dump to a PostScript file (hurrah!  about time!).  However, the command-K
and command-F options no longer work.  So the dumped PostScript file always
has the LaserPrep file stuck onto the front (there is no longer a real
LaserPrep file), adding another 30K to your upload overhead.

Also, the LaserWriters on our terminal server network do not know about
TrueType fonts.  So the dumped PostScript file grows to huge proportions
(like 300K for a 5K document) since the TrueType font information must
be sent with the PostScript file.  This is a very major drawback for
those of us stuck on Unix systems.

TrueType looks very nice.  But I'm afraid I can't handle the huge
upload overhead to actually use it.

Am I missing anything that would make life easier?  Or is this
going to be a fatal problem for people like me on Unix systems?

Brian Patten
patten@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu                "McIntosh Jr.  The Power to
Institute for Astronomy                         Crush the Other Kids"
University of Hawaii at Manoa                    SNL Mock Commercial

aard@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Tony Ard) (03/18/91)

In article <7022@mace.cc.purdue.edu> nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
>Well, this is perhaps a bit misleading.  Apple does not supply italic
>or bold italic variants of Courier and Helvetica.  "Italic" (oblique
>is a better word) variants look fine on the screen and printed.
>Perhaps someone familiar with TrueType could tell us if there are
>standard builtin algorithms for italic, bold, outline, etc.
>
>For you equation writers out there, the TT Symbol font can be printed
>in bold even though no bold variant is supplied.  Finally, I can write
>things like r X omega and have them look like they should.
>
>Charles Allen                           Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu

From my limited understanding of typography, 'italic' refers to a different
font that is related to a plain font.  For example, Times Italic  is a com-
pletely  different font than  Times Roman. 'Oblique' refers to  an existing
font that is slanted a few degrees.  Therefore, there really  is no need to
supply a separate font file for the obliques. I  never could understand why
adobe does this, maybe so they can charge more money :-)

Anyway, like a lot of others  I downloaded TrueType so  I could play around
with it. I like it! Until system 7.0 comes  out I'll probably still use ATM
(with my  DeskWriter),  but as soon as   7.0 arrives I'm going  to purchase
'Fontmonger'  from Ares that can  convert  between  all three outline  font
formats and change all my Adobe fonts to TrueType.

By the way,  does anyone out  thre know if   Apple is going  to  release TT
versions of the LaserWriter II Fonts (Palatino, Bookman, etc.)?

- Tony