[comp.sys.mac.misc] Hardware handshaking on mac plus or new macs????

sethcohn@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (seth cohn) (03/18/91)

ok, HOW can you do Hardware handshaking on a mac plus?
(or on a Classic, LC, or Si)  None of these has Pin 7
(known as GPi or general Purpose input)  hooked up
(apple got cheap and figured it wasn't neccessary)
thus you can hook up hardware handshaking but you lose carrier detect
(which is not acceptable!!!)
Can you use pin 8 - which is the extra receive pin
for carrier detect if the software is right????
if not, any other way???

thanks in advance,
Seth

Seth Cohn, Service Tech.  607-273-2815 voice 607-272-7002 BBS
All things posted are opinions by me, of me, for me, or to me.
And another thing..........I'm not sure you're real.

aciemian@ics.uci.edu (Alan Ciemian) (03/19/91)

I sympathize with you.  I bought a 2400 MNP5/v42.bis modem for my IIsi
and couldn't get the hardware handshaking to work, meaning of course that
any data compression abilities are meaningless.  I read in MacUser that the
problem is that the cables are not properly wired, they are impossible to get.
Similar 9600 modems come with the proper cables.

Anyway there are two options. I bought a new 25 pin rs232 connector and
rewired it correctly.  I found the proper wiring in my Microphone II manual I
think.  It was a hassle but it works fine.  The other option is to buy a
handshaking adapter which goes between the modem and the cable (25 pin).  All
it really does is jumper a few pins.   I couldn't find one anywhere but
recently saw it in  an Inmac catalog.

 Hope this helps.

Alan Ciemian  (aciemian@ics.uci.edu)

sethcohn@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (seth cohn) (03/19/91)

aciemian@ics.uci.edu (Alan Ciemian) writes:

> I sympathize with you.  I bought a 2400 MNP5/v42.bis modem for my IIsi
> and couldn't get the hardware handshaking to work, meaning of course that
> any data compression abilities are meaningless.  I read in MacUser that the
> problem is that the cables are not properly wired, they are impossible to get
> Similar 9600 modems come with the proper cables.
>
> Anyway there are two options. I bought a new 25 pin rs232 connector and
> rewired it correctly.  I found the proper wiring in my Microphone II manual I
> think.  It was a hassle but it works fine.  The other option is to buy a
> handshaking adapter which goes between the modem and the cable (25 pin).  All
> it really does is jumper a few pins.   I couldn't find one anywhere but
> recently saw it in  an Inmac catalog.

SORRY, but you miss understood... :(
the actual Handshaking is FINE, it's the extra carrier detect line that
you've lost.  Try running a BBS on your SI, it'll run, but NOT with
Handshaking AND Carrier detection, (both use Pin 2 for that,  since pin 7
isn't available)

Anyone got any REAL ideas?
seems there MUST BE SOME WAY (PLEASE@!!!!!!!!)

Seth
(crying cause I can't get my mac to talk fast enough, 9600 is just SO