[comp.sys.mac.misc] appletalk mail programs ...

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (03/08/91)

Is there any mail program that will go across an appletalk network
besides microsoft mail?  Ideally, I'd be able to include graphics
in my mail message (eg: have a .sig file with a picture of the
sender) and have it shown when the mail message is read by the
recipient.

With Microsoft mail, it is necessary to paste the picture into a
file and include the file in a mail message ... but this requires
the user to have an application open that can read the document.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but ...

Thanks,

Brad
(bh11@andrew.cmu.edu)

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (03/08/91)

In article <0bpbA3e00Uh7A1okpA@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Braddock John Hathaway) writes:
> Ideally, I'd be able to include graphics
> in my mail message (eg: have a .sig file with a picture of the
> sender) and have it shown when the mail message is read by the
> recipient.

I think QuickMail might do what you want. Each user could use QM Forms to
create his own custom form with his .sig.  I don't know if it'll let you
paste in a picture; it will let you import an icon from a MacPaint file.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (03/12/91)

From article <0bpbA3e00Uh7A1okpA@andrew.cmu.edu>, by bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway):
> Is there any mail program that will go across an appletalk network
> besides microsoft mail?

There is only one real Mac Mail program, CE QuickMail.  It's much better
than Microsoft mail.  There are mainframe/vax gateways, automatic modem
support for remote users, custom mail messages that include graphics within
the postcard you send within QuickMail.  I'm up to 30 users in my zone on
our campus network.  We have nearly 150 campus wide.  There are a few
Microsoft people here, but most of them are waiting for the next version to
get what QM shipped with in the OLD version.

Not to mention it's much less expensive.  The drawback?  If you are expecting
to be able to port to MicroSoft Mail, you can't yet.  MS will not share the
code to let it happen.  You have to go through a 2nd machine to shair mail.
This means you loose the neat graphics....

Only my opinions, not the Tigers.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar11.225008.24188@hubcap.clemson.edu> rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) writes:
>There is only one real Mac Mail program, CE QuickMail.  It's much better
>than Microsoft mail.

There is only one real country to live in, Romania.  It's much better than
Albania.  (What?  There are MORE than just two countries?)
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (03/17/91)

In article <1991Mar13.144857.21479@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>In article <1991Mar11.225008.24188@hubcap.clemson.edu> rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) writes:
>>There is only one real Mac Mail program, CE QuickMail.  It's much better
>>than Microsoft mail.

>There is only one real country to live in, Romania.  It's much better than
>Albania.  (What?  There are MORE than just two countries?)

I'm appalled.  You should have at least let everyone *know* in this
posting that you're the Maximum Leader of North Korea....  :-)

Serious question: which machine is Eudora located on for ftp?  I had
it written down somewhere, but I lost the piece of paper....
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

Nothing falls up without being hurled

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/18/91)

>Serious question: which machine is Eudora located on for ftp?  I had
>it written down somewhere, but I lost the piece of paper....

ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, mac/eudora subdirectory.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (03/19/91)

Two points:

1.  I don't think Steve should have to advertise his own work here, so
I'll sing laudatory praises for Eudora -- it's wonderful, seems to
work really well, I like it bunches, and Steve is quick to answer
questions, even from snotty Stanford people who get uppity when he
points out design shortcomings in the similar Stanford-designed
application.  For Mac-based mail programs which read your mail from a
SMTP host, I haven't seen better.

2.  I got the impression that the original poster was looking for a
complete Mac-based mail system (i.e. the server was on Macs as well).
I got the impression that Eudora wasn't this (correct me if I'm
wrong).  But the original poster wanted one other than MS Mail because
he thought MS Mail couldn't handle graphics.  In fact, it can.  They
even include a note template exclusively for that purpose.

	== Daniel ==

---------------------------
D. Daniel Sternbergh
ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (03/19/91)

FYI, I've set up a simple Mac mail system which now runs on a small
LocalTalk network; it consists of MailStop (POP2 server) running on an
obsolete Mac Plus with an obsolete 60MB hard disk, and POPMail and TOPMail
clients. All software is from boombox.micro.umn.edu.
MailStop is the *only* non-commercial Mac server I'm aware of. Nothing
fancy, but it works fine. The clients are quite slow (HC stacks), and
POPMail doesn't feel well with only 1MB (TOPMail was designed to work on
"lean" Macs). I'd much rather use Eudora, or (a not-too-distant second)
TechMail, but they are POP3. Maybe someone out there can write a simple
POP3 Mac server for those small groups who don't want to bother with a Unix
machine?

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu