[comp.sys.mac.misc] Desktop Manager

typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Mr John Wilkins) (10/31/90)

eatme@iastate.edu (Swanlund David L) writes:

>Hi netters. I'm looking for information on Apple's desktop manager.
>Stuff like what it does and how to use it would be great.
>Thanks,

>Dave
>eatme@iastate.edu

And how to get hold of it? Is this what goes into Sys 7?

--
John Wilkins, Manager, Publications Services
Monash University, Melbourne, Australia

gmoff@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Moffat) (10/31/90)

eatme@iastate.edu (Swanlund David L) writes:

>Hi netters. I'm looking for information on Apple's desktop manager.
>Stuff like what it does ..

Replaces the invisible Desktop file with two invisible files called 'Desktop
DB' & 'Desktop DF' which keep their information in the DATA fork rather than
as resources.  I don't know if it is still possible to see icons etc as
could be done before with ResEdit.  This gets round the limits of the
resource manager when you have large hard disks (ever noticed how long it
takes to 'update desktop' when copying files once the drive has about 30M ?)
and updates are quick again.  These files are open for write and some
utilities may not be able to look at them - SUM II, for example, cannot
defragment them or optimise a volume while they are open.  Boot from a
non-DM floppy (see below) to do this.

>                    ... and how to use it would be great.

Just put it in the system folder and reboot with the cmd & option keys down
to rebuild the desktop.  After this you can
trash the original Desktop file, but if ever you boot from a non-DM drive
(or floppy) you will have to wait while a new Desktop is rebuilt.
I originally did this to save space (desktop was 160K) but have since
decided (after doing experiments with various macs & drives) that it's more
convenient to leave the damn thing on there).
Stick a copy on any boot floppies you may have, although it doesn't produce
or use the new desktop on them.  But then be aware that using them to boot a
mac with a non-DM drive will probably cause some strange desktop-related
errors (generic icons, double clicking on documents not opening the
application, are two that I've come across) until you rebuild the desktop.
In short, it's best to standardise on one or the other for all macs you may
deal with (If you're [un]lucky enough to have many at your disposal *B^))
--
    Graeme Moffat,                        Phone : +64 9 737 999  x8384
    Computer Aided Design Centre,         Fax   : +64 9 366 0702

gmoff@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Moffat) (11/01/90)

typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Mr John Wilkins) writes:

>>Hi netters. I'm looking for information on Apple's desktop manager.
>>Thanks,

>And how to get hold of it? Is this what goes into Sys 7?

This was posted a short time ago, but several people are asking:
It is included with the Oscar file transfer (over appletalk) utility on
apple.com as:  pub/dts/mac/hacks/Oscar.hqx
--
    Graeme Moffat,                        Phone : +64 9 737 999  x8384
    Computer Aided Design Centre,         Fax   : +64 9 366 0702
    School of Engineering,		  Mail  : Private Bag, Auckland, NZ
    University of Auckland		  Email : g.moffat@aukuni.ac.nz

unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) (02/14/91)

Where may I obtain a copy of the Desktop Manager INIT?

--

Robert S. Unoki
unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

tlf@sppy00.UUCP (Business Boy) (03/19/91)

What are the advantages of using the system file 'Desktop Manager'
and where do I find it?

--
Tom [KITES!] Fought         {att|pyramid|killer}!osu-cis!sppy00!tlf
OCLC, Inc. Dublin Ohio