[comp.sys.mac.misc] EXCEL 2.2 Bomb on Mac LC

STENGEL@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Robert F. Stengel) (03/14/91)

I just tried to edit an Excel file that I had prepared on my old SE using my ne
w LC.  I was surprised to get a "bomb" forcing a restart with the message "copr
ocessor not installed."  Of course, the LC uses the 68020 and there is no copro
cessor available for the LC.  What's up?  Combing the manual, there's no mentio
n of the coprocessor, no indication of how to work around the problem.  Apparen
tly, new files can be defined, but this is little help when trying to work on o
ld files.

In article <12587@pucc.Princeton.EDU>, STENGEL@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Robert F. Stengel) writes:

>I just tried to edit an Excel file that I had prepared on my old SE using my ne
>w LC.  I was surprised to get a "bomb" forcing a restart with the message "copr
>ocessor not installed."  Of course, the LC uses the 68020 and there is no copro
>cessor available for the LC.  What's up?  Combing the manual, there's no mentio
>n of the coprocessor, no indication of how to work around the problem.  Apparen
>tly, new files can be defined, but this is little help when trying to work on o
>ld files.
---The problem is even worse than I thought.  I just created and saved a new fi
le.  When I left the file, then tried to open it, I got the bomb again!  There
appears to be no way to save an EXCEL 2.2 file on the LC (running 6.0.7)

pekkala@convex.com (Rick Pekkala) (03/14/91)

try getting Pseudo FPU 1.1, i.e. your Excel wants a coprocessor,
--
Rick Pekkala, pekkala@convex.com, {sun,texsun,uunet}!convex!pekkala 214-497-4131
CONVEX Computer Corporation, 3000 Waterview Parkway, Richardson, TX 75083

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.034338.22956@convex.com> pekkala@convex.com (Rick Pekkala) writes:

>   try getting Pseudo FPU 1.1, i.e. your Excel wants a coprocessor,

	Excel 2.2a seems to work OK on the LC without PseudoFPU.

	=Mike
--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development

Lou@cup.portal.com (William Joseph Marriott) (03/15/91)

You can force Excel 2.2 to not try to use an FPU by holding down
Command-Shift-Option as you create a new worksheet.

PSTL-HJ@finou.oulu.fi (03/20/91)

in your article your said that EXCEL 2.2 does not work. well if you
have it installed on a machine which has a coprocessor you cannot get
it work. This applies also to IIsi. These new machines don't have
coprocessors. You can get EXCEL work if you will have a c "clean"
copy which NEVER has been in any machine. The problem is that excel
looks up the machine and writes into itself what kind of machine you have.

if you can obtain a clean copy then use that if not use PEKKALA's suggestion
and get FPU init from SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.edu info-mac for instance.

-------
Heikki Jussila              EARN/INTERNET: PSTL-HJ@finou.oulu.fi
Reserarch Institute of Northern Finland
University of Oulu          telephone: + 358-81-35 3556
Linnanmaa                     telefax: + 358-81-35 3231
SF-90570 Oulu, Finland