[comp.sys.mac.misc] TrueType vs ATM

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (03/17/91)

I have been using the newest version of ATM ("twice as fast!") and just got my
hands on TrueType.  I am using both now until I can get my hands on more TT
fonts.  Here are a few of my observations:

1)  TrueType fonts look _much_ better at small point sizes than ATM ones do.

2) TrueType is _much_ faster than even the newest ATM.  Use your favorite word
   processor, type in some text, then change it to 33 point, then 111 point or
   some other odd sizes.  ATM chugs for a second, but TT is almost immediate.

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |    you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (03/17/91)

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) writes:

>I have been using the newest version of ATM ("twice as fast!") and just got my
>hands on TrueType.  I am using both now until I can get my hands on more TT
>fonts.  Here are a few of my observations:

I've obtained the TrueType stuff from apple.com, but where can you get
the rest of the LaserWriter II fonts (Palatino, Bookman, etc)?

Jeff

--
"Swing is a feeling... Everything else is just style."
				--Capt. Swing

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

sven@cs.widener.edu (Sven Heinicke) (03/17/91)

In <1991Mar16.221601.9927@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>1)  TrueType fonts look _much_ better at small point sizes than ATM ones do.

This is only to true, If I only use ATM when I want Big fonts, for the small
ones I still just install them normaly.

--
sven@cs.widener.edu                                  Widener CS system manager
Sven Mike Heinicke                                          and Student

eaeu137@orion.oac.uci.edu (Andrew Theodore Laurence) (03/17/91)

I'm curious, how does the print come out with TrueType?  I've heard stories
of spasmatic blotches showing up on the page.

--Andrew Laurence
  eaeu137@orion.oac.uci.edu

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, net.god {retired}) (03/17/91)

eaeu137@orion.oac.uci.edu (Andrew Theodore Laurence) writes:

One of the first experiments I did was take a document I'd written and print
it out on a laserwriter in 5 point New York (try THAT under 6.0.x), then
carry it to the local copier to see how many copies of copies I could make
until it blurred into nothing. I gave up at 10.

All across the country, I can hear lawyers drooling....

>I'm curious, how does the print come out with TrueType?  I've heard stories
>of spasmatic blotches showing up on the page.

I've never had a problem, and I've printed a non-trivial amount of stuff
since Beta 4 came out.

--
Chuq Von Rospach  >=<  chuq@apple.com  >=<  GEnie: CHUQ  >=<  AppleLink: CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended reading: BONE DANCE by Emma Bull; BLIND JUSTICE by S.N. Lewitt;
SCIENCE FICTION IN THE REAL WORLD by Norman Spinrad

francis@arthur.zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (03/17/91)

In article <50343@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, net.god {retired}) writes:

   One of the first experiments I did was take a document I'd written and print
   it out on a laserwriter in 5 point New York (try THAT under 6.0.x), then
   carry it to the local copier to see how many copies of copies I could make
   until it blurred into nothing. I gave up at 10.

   All across the country, I can hear lawyers drooling....

Really? What does it sound like? :-)

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

sanglee@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Sang-Ho Lee) (03/17/91)

On screen, TrueType does what ATM does when "Preserve line spacing" option
is chosen: All accented characters are vertically crunched.  The same thing
happens on my DeskWriter output, although LaserWriter output is correct.
I suspect this would happen with all nonpostscript printers.  Could anyone
with a StyleWriter tell me about its output?

Is there a way to turn this off (as in ATM's "Preserve character shape" option)
so that the body of the accented characters are of the same size as the other
characters?

stern6@husc9.harvard.edu (Michael Stern) (03/18/91)

In <1991Mar16.221601.9927@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>1)  TrueType fonts look _much_ better at small point sizes than ATM ones do.

While it is certainly true that sizes in the 8-12 point range look better
on the screen when generated by TrueType, I credit the fact that Apple has
optimized their font system for screen display.  When printed, especially
at smaller sizes, ATM is clearer.  Compare 5 or 6 point off a 300 dpi printer.
ATM produces better text.

         Michael Stern        *  "I love children, especially when they cry,
                              *   for then someone takes them away."
  stern6@husc9.harvard.edu    *                         -Nancy Mitford

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/18/91)

The one thing ATM does ALOT better than TrueType is provide support
for rotated text.

A friend of mine has written a draw program that takes advantage of
ATM's font rotation when it's available.  It is very fast and the
results are superior.

Unfortunately, Apple either doesn't have the support for rotated text
that ATM does or at least hasn't documented it for us lowly programmers
to access.  I really hope it's the latter and not the former - and they
eventually will document the interface.

Until then, ATM still has an edge in this area.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (03/18/91)

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) writes:

>1)  TrueType fonts look _much_ better at small point sizes than ATM ones do.
>
>2) TrueType is _much_ faster than even the newest ATM.  Use your favorite word
>   processor, type in some text, then change it to 33 point, then 111 point or
>   some other odd sizes.  ATM chugs for a second, but TT is almost immediate.

I had heard that TT comes with the StyleWriter.  Does anyone know if Apple
is sellling/giving it away seperately?

What type of fonts does it use?  Can it use my current ATM fonts?
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

glenn@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Glenn P. Parker) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar17.130959.327@husc3.harvard.edu> stern6@husc9.harvard.edu (Michael Stern) writes:
> In <1991Mar16.221601.9927@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> >1)  TrueType fonts look _much_ better at small point sizes than ATM ones do.
>
> While it is certainly true that sizes in the 8-12 point range look better
> on the screen when generated by TrueType, I credit the fact that Apple has
> optimized their font system for screen display.

Oh really?  And what makes you think ATM is *not* "optimized for screen
display"?  In fact, what makes you think that TrueType *is* optimized for
screen display?

> When printed, especially at smaller sizes, ATM is clearer.  Compare 5 or
> 6 point off a 300 dpi printer.  ATM produces better text.

Hogwash.  This is not an argument about ATM producing better output vs.
TrueType.  At 300 dpi, the two technologies are equally capable of
producing excellent output, *if* the fonts are done well.  If you notice a
preference, then it is the font vendor you should compliment, not the font
scaler.

--
Glenn P. Parker       glenn@bitstream.com       Bitstream, Inc.
                      uunet!huxley!glenn        215 First Street

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (03/19/91)

>> In <1991Mar16.221601.9927@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>> >1)  TrueType fonts look _much_ better at small point sizes than ATM ones do.
>>
>> While it is certainly true that sizes in the 8-12 point range look better
>> on the screen when generated by TrueType, I credit the fact that Apple has
>> optimized their font system for screen display.

>Oh really?  And what makes you think ATM is *not* "optimized for screen
>display"?  In fact, what makes you think that TrueType *is* optimized for
>screen display?

>> When printed, especially at smaller sizes, ATM is clearer.  Compare 5 or
>> 6 point off a 300 dpi printer.  ATM produces better text.

>Hogwash.  This is not an argument about ATM producing better output vs.
>TrueType.  At 300 dpi, the two technologies are equally capable of
>producing excellent output, *if* the fonts are done well.  If you notice a
>preference, then it is the font vendor you should compliment, not the font
>scaler.

>--
>Glenn P. Parker       glenn@bitstream.com       Bitstream, Inc.
>                      uunet!huxley!glenn        215 First Street
>                      BIX: parker               Cambridge, MA 02142-1270

and its back around to me again.
I respond to the above statement comparing 5 and 6 point output from
ATM as looking better than the same from TT:  If it is true, I don't really
care.  I would much rather have better looking 12-point on my screen than
better looking 5 point on my laserprinter.
(Oh yea, I send LOTS of correspondence in 5-point Times)

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |    you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (03/20/91)

I can use ATM with my HP LJIIP and LaserJet Express driver.  ATM fonts
are downloaded as 300DPI bitmaps, and all goes well.  Will the same
happen with TT?  Can I use it with my extant driver, or must I get
another driver?  I can't, to the best of my knowledge, use my IIP with
any standard Apple Driver.

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California