[comp.sys.mac.misc] Need help w/MAC LC prices

cs@cbnewsh.att.com (cetin.seren) (03/19/91)

   (let's see i $%^$*&^%^&$%^&$%^\@!#\@ cbnewsh will screw up this time,
    my former 3 postings got all messed up when I lost connection!!)

   A friend of mine is looking to buy a Macintosh LC (low-Cost??)
   Since I know Macs well enough to tell them apart from doorstops
   and paperweights but not much more, I decided to ask the netters:

   The prices my friend got(through a campus discount plan) is for:
   Mac Lc with:
   512 K ram
   40 Meg HD
   Hi-resolution card and Hi-Res RGB Monitor
   The "new" ink-jet printer
   The price he got is $2,600.00 + tax for the above.

   Speed is not of a great deal of importance to him, but Hi Resolution
   and color, as well as the Hard disk, are VERY important.
   He does not mind buying a used Mac, or some other model and then
   do the combination himself, as long as:
   + the end result is compatible with Mac LC ( he needs to be able to
     share software with others that take up the "campus plan")
   + The end result has another serial port to hook up a modem.
     (yes, I do not even know whether Mac printers use a serial or a parallel
      port............)

	My friend would greatly appreciate any help and ideas regarding:

	+ vendors that give a better price for thbe above combo.
	+ any other brands that are compatible with the above (if any)
	+ any other Mac combination that is cheaper and compatible (equivalent)
	+ anybody willing to sell their equivalent used system.
	+ general philosophical discussions about the usefullness of
             such a combination

alberti@cs.umn.edu (Albatross) (03/20/91)

In <1991Mar19.152321.7948@cbnewsh.att.com> cs@cbnewsh.att.com (cetin.seren) writes:
>   The prices my friend got(through a campus discount plan) is for:
>   Mac Lc with:
>   512 K ram

Get at least 2 Meg.  512K doesn't even appear on my price sheets for the LC,
and 1 Meg is the minimum.

>   40 Meg HD

Good.

>   Hi-resolution card and Hi-Res RGB Monitor

The LC comes with a 4*8 card equivalent and an 020 direct slot.  Your friend
is immediately buying up to an 8*24 card and Apples 13" High Resolution
monitor, adding $650 + $520 (educational discount pricing) to the cost.  This
is assuming there is a 020 direct 8*24 card, which I don't believe there is.

>   The "new" ink-jet printer

$395

>   The price he got is $2,600.00 + tax for the above.

My pricing shows the following:
Mac LC with 2 Meg RAM and 40 MB Hard Drive, $1745.  Low-Res monitor $390.
Stylewriter $395. Total is $2530.  Assuming the "Hi-Res RGB Monitor" is
a mistake and that the machine has 2 Meg of RAM, not 512K, then the price
is within $70 of the educational discount pricing.  I'd have your friend
doublecheck to be sure.

>   Speed is not of a great deal of importance to him, but Hi Resolution
>   and color, as well as the Hard disk, are VERY important.

Well, he's not going to get High Res for the price specified.

>   He does not mind buying a used Mac, or some other model and then
>   do the combination himself, as long as:
>   + the end result is compatible with Mac LC ( he needs to be able to
>     share software with others that take up the "campus plan")

Apple is very good at maintaining compatibility across its machines.  I'd
suggest that he focus on which version of system software he needs to use
(version 6.0.7 is the latest) rather than which model of Macintosh he buys.

>   + The end result has another serial port to hook up a modem.
>     (yes, I do not even know whether Mac printers use a serial or a parallel
>      port............)

The Mac has a serial port.  There's a $15 cable which will connect it to your
standard 25 pin serial connector.

>	+ vendors that give a better price for thbe above combo.

Third party vendors might be able to get you the monitor and or card, but
you're still looking at a final price of over $3000.

>	+ any other Mac combination that is cheaper and compatible (equivalent)

Not much chance of that.  You'd have to step up to the Mac SI if you want ot
be assured of being able to install an 8*24 card and high-res monitor.  You
may want to look into the Mac IIcx, which is being closed out annd is available
with 1 Meg RAM and no hard drive for $1600.  You could then get the monitor
and NuBus 8*24 card and come in at about $2600, but no hard drive or printer.
--
Bob Alberti  Micro and Wkstn Networks Ctr, U of MN   // aka: Albatross| Unitar-
Internet:    alberti@boombox.micro.UMN.EDU        \\//      Images BBS| ian/

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard; ACS (UGRAD)) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.152321.7948@cbnewsh.att.com> cs@cbnewsh.att.com writes:

>   The prices my friend got(through a campus discount plan) is for:
>   Mac Lc with:
>   512 K ram
>   40 Meg HD
>   Hi-resolution card and Hi-Res RGB Monitor
>   The "new" ink-jet printer
>   The price he got is $2,600.00 + tax for the above.

I know that through my school, I can get a Mac II LC with 2 meg RAM, 40 meg HD,
12" RGB monitor, and keyboard for $1980.  The new Stylewriter (Inkjet printer
with TrueType) goes for $369.  So, a comparable package to yours except for
the memory would be $2349 plus local tax.

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

bskendig@light.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (03/20/91)

In article <5454@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (Chuck Rickard) writes:
>In article <1991Mar19.152321.7948@cbnewsh.att.com> cs@cbnewsh.att.com writes:
>>   The prices my friend got(through a campus discount plan) is for:
>>   Mac Lc with:
>>   512 K ram
>>   40 Meg HD
>>   Hi-resolution card and Hi-Res RGB Monitor
>>   The "new" ink-jet printer
>>   The price he got is $2,600.00 + tax for the above.
>
>I know that through my school, I can get a Mac II LC with 2 meg RAM, 40 meg HD,
>12" RGB monitor, and keyboard for $1980.  The new Stylewriter (Inkjet printer
>with TrueType) goes for $369.  So, a comparable package to yours except for
>the memory would be $2349 plus local tax.

You don't need any card for the LC; it has built-in support for three
monitors: the 12" monochrome (640x480, 16 grays), the 12" color
(512x384, 256 colors), and the 13" color (640x480, 16 colors).  In my
opinion, the 12" color monitor really isn;t worth it at _all_, seeing
as how it's the same cramped size as the Mac Classic's screen (except
that you have 42 more pixels vertical room).

If you add the price of a 512k VRAM and a 13" color monitor onto your
price, you'll get closer to the $2,600 quoted by the original poster.

The prices on my official campus price list are:
	Macintosh LC, 2Mb RAM, 40Mb HD			$1,585.10
	512k VRAM SIMM					Not listed
	12" greyscale monitor				$  262.90
	12" color monitor				$  394.90
	13" color monitor				$  658.90
	StyleWriter Ink Jet Printer w/ Accessory Kit	$  368.50

Note that these prices apply to the Princeton campus only (even
Rutgers, nearby, has different prices).  I'm just quoting them here to
show how they fit match up relatively.

I'm in the market for an LC, too.  Right now I'm leaning towards
getting the machine with a 12" greyscale monitor.

(Of course, if I can't get a two-floppy model, then I won't get an LC
at all, but that's another story for another thread.  ;)

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't HAVE the work to *do* -- I don't DO the work I *have*."

jhagen@TALOS.UUCP (Jarom Hagen) (03/20/91)

alberti@cs.umn.edu (Albatross) writes:

>>   512 K ram

>Get at least 2 Meg.  512K doesn't even appear on my price sheets for the LC,
>and 1 Meg is the minimum.

He might mean the 512K video ram upgrade for more colors.

I believe that the upgrade would allow you to go from 16 colors on the
screen at a time to 256 colors on the screen at a time.

Jarom
  *Not paid for and/or endorsed by National Political Resources Incorporated.
		                   602 Cameron St, Alexandria VA 22314
  (UUCP: ...uunet!uupsi!pbs!npri6!jhagen)