[comp.sys.mac.misc] Wider SFDialogs via ResEdit instead of Open-wide

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (03/13/91)

	In the Open-wide init (makes the Open file dialogs wider), it said
	that you can make the dialogs larger by ResEditing the DTIL and DLOG
	resources in the System folder.  Does anyone know how to do this?
	Also, does the dialog still center correctly after making the
	changes via ResEdit, or is using the Open-wide init the only way to
	get it to center and open-wide?

	Thanks in advance,

	=Mike

	BTW: I am asking this question because I have too many inits and
	would like to do as much of the configuration via ResEdit if possible.

--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development

jwwalker@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Jim Walker) (03/18/91)

In article <YEE.91Mar12115357@katana.osf.org> yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:
>	In the Open-wide init (makes the Open file dialogs wider), it said
>	that you can make the dialogs larger by ResEditing the DTIL and DLOG
>	resources in the System folder.  Does anyone know how to do this?
>	Also, does the dialog still center correctly after making the
>	changes via ResEdit, or is using the Open-wide init the only way to
>	get it to center and open-wide?
--- stuff deleted ---
>--
>= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --

That's the System FILE, not the System Folder.  Basically you just open the
System with ResEdit (preferably version 2.1), edit the DLOG resources with
IDs -3999 and -4000, and start dragging things around.

Note that like Open-wide 1.3, this will only affect applications that do not
contain their own dialog resources.  Of course you could edit those
resources too, but it could get laborious.

Whether the dialog will be centered depends on the application.  When the
application calls Standard File, it supplies the desired position for the
upper left corner of the dialog.  Some applications may calculate that
corner by looking at the dialog rectangle and the screen rectangle, some
may assume that the dialog rectangle is the standard size.

In System 7, there is a way to use ResEdit to make a dialog
"self-centering"... or is is just an alert?  I haven't used System 7...

By the way, I'm working on a new version of Open-wide, which works on all
Standard File dialogs, not just the ones in the System file.  This time I'm
having some people beta-test it for me, so (with luck) fewer people will
have problems with it.
--
  -- Jim Walker 76367.2271@compuserve.com  walker@math.scarolina.edu

palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (03/20/91)

Super Boomerang has something which is approx. equivalent to wider dialog
boxes...it uses a narrower font for long file names.

Super Boomerang is part of Now Utilities, or you can get it by sending
in your shareware fee for Boomerang.

I have no connection to anything mentioned, except as a sanctimonious
person who paid his shareware fee for Boomerang.

--
		David Palmer
		palmer@gap.cco.caltech.edu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.043920.1951@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) writes:

> Super Boomerang has something which is approx. equivalent to wider dialog
> boxes...it uses a narrower font for long file names.
>
> Super Boomerang is part of Now Utilities, or you can get it by sending
> in your shareware fee for Boomerang.

If for some reason you don't have Super Boomerang, you can get the
narrower view functionality from a cdev called NameViewer 2.0.  It
does this and also will let you see info about the selected file such
as file size, creator, etc.  This can done always or configured to
work on option or command key press.

It's shareware from AaStar Technologies and should be found most places.

-- michael

P.S. Some friends of mine run AsStar, but I'm not connected to the
company in any way except friendship.

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE