[comp.sys.mac.misc] A new virus?!

zinder2500@engin.umich.edu (Michael Robert Attan) (03/20/91)

I think I may have found a new virus, but am not sure.  Here's what my
computer is doing:

After leaving my mac running for about 8 hours, regardless of weather or no
a program is running, my system suddenly bombs with an "Out of Memory" error.
This happens without fail.  My question is this: Does anyone know of a
program I can run in the background that will keep a window open showing
what applications are currently taking up what memory?  That way, I can
at least find out which program is stealing away those precious bytes.

thanks,
-Michael Attan

<please send correspondence to   zinder2500@aal.itd.umich.edu     >

dbert@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar20.054451.12095@engin.umich.edu> zinder2500@engin.umich.edu (Michael Robert Attan) writes:
>I think I may have found a new virus, but am not sure.  Here's what my
>computer is doing:
>
>After leaving my mac running for about 8 hours, regardless of weather or no
>a program is running, my system suddenly bombs with an "Out of Memory" error.
>This happens without fail.  My question is this: Does anyone know of a
>program I can run in the background that will keep a window open showing
>what applications are currently taking up what memory?  That way, I can
>at least find out which program is stealing away those precious bytes.
>
>thanks,
>-Michael Attan

Can't be sure, but I've heard that some systems (especially some betas of
System 7.0) have problems in them in that the heap slowly eats more and more
memory up as time goes on and the only fix is to reboot and start fresh.
Sounds like this is what you are experiencing.  People always suspect new
viruses, but only a couple new ones (not just variants on old ones) are
created/discovered each year.

Doug Siebert                                     dbert@gnu.ai.mit.edu
MBA Student (2nd year)
The University of Iowa

bell@Apple.COM (Mike Bell) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.054451.12095@engin.umich.edu> zinder2500@engin.umich.edu (Michael Robert Attan) writes:
>I think I may have found a new virus, but am not sure.  Here's what my
>computer is doing:
>
>After leaving my mac running for about 8 hours, regardless of weather or no
>a program is running, my system suddenly bombs with an "Out of Memory" error.
>This happens without fail.  My question is this: Does anyone know of a
>program I can run in the background that will keep a window open showing
>what applications are currently taking up what memory?  That way, I can
>at least find out which program is stealing away those precious bytes.
>
>thanks,
>-Michael Attan
>
><please send correspondence to   zinder2500@aal.itd.umich.edu     >

   A combination of On Location and old versions of Handoff II can cause this
problem...system memory keeps getting eaten until the system finally crashes.

			Mike