	From: The Moderators <uunet!sumex-aim.stanford.edu!Info-Mac-Request>
	To: motcid!derosaj, lfk@eastman1.mit.edu
	Subject: Archiving standard

	Werner Uhrig forwarded your comments about an archiving standard to me. It
	would be best if you cc'd info-mac-request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu on
	discussions of this type because I like to keep abreast of things.

Will do.

	While a voluntary standard like you propose may be desirable, I am not going
	to enforce a mandantory set of guidelines. I don't have time to inspect each
	submission to make sure it lives up to the guideline. I do enforce some
	things (such as BinHexing), but not anything to do with the actual contents
	of postings.

I can understand that policing of the submissions would be impossible.  My intent
was to suggest a commonality of submissions that would ultimately save the time
of the person who needs to de-archive the documents.

	Also, I would like to suggest that you change the name of your proposed
	standard. "Sumex Archival Standard for Macintosh" makes the standard sound
	like it comes from us here at sumex, whereas in fact it is a suggestion you
	and others are making with no "official" support from sumex or Info-Mac.

The name of my original posting was "PROPOSAL - Archive Standards".  It was in
comp.sys.mac.apps, misc and programmer.  I believe that whoever forwarded my
article to you changed the subject line.

	I do not agree that it is desirable to impose a single compression standard
	for all the postings at Info-Mac. Would you have us still using PackIt II? I
	believe change is inevitable and that posters will select whichever program
	they prefer, thus letting the "market" decide what works best.

Good point.  Things do change, even though binhex has not...yet.  It would appear
though that the idea of self-extracting archives will stay with us for the
forseeable future.  Maybe the combination of binhex on top of a self-extracting
archive is the best approach.  The SEA can be gererated with Stuffit, Compactor
or some other currently unknown application.

	Bill Lipa
	info-mac-request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

Thank you for your interest in this topic.

- John DeRosa

P.S. I have never actually submitted anything to the archives but I am
planning to soon.  Do I send it to info-mac-request or someplace else?

=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =
= Applelink: N1111                                                         =
=I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =