[comp.sys.mac.misc] Cheap hard drives

rajiv@ee.rochester.edu (Rajiv Arora) (03/21/91)

In case you hadn't noticed, the prices of hard drives seem to have fallen a
bit, judging by the prices in the last MacUser. I bought a 105M external drive
from Hard Drives International (the brand is PowerDrive) for $399! I've had it
now for a couple of weeks and it works just fine. The mechanism is a Quantum
P105S, and the unit comes with a 30-day MBG and a 2-year warranty.

This posting should in no way be considered an endorsement of HDI or their
products since I have not owned the unit long enough to assess its reliability.
However, my initial impressions were quite favorable--the quality of
construction seems comparable to that of Ehman drives. Delivery was prompt (I
received the unit in < 1 week) and the unit SEEMED brand-new. They claim the
reason for the ultra-low price (their 80M Quantum sells for $419--go figure!)
is inventory reduction.

Make of all this what you will. I've taken the plunge already--check it out for
yourself.

-Rajiv Arora
--
Addresses:
	UUCP:   ...!rochester!ur-valhalla!rajiv

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.223528.8152@ee.rochester.edu> rajiv@ee.rochester.edu (Rajiv Arora) writes:

>In case you hadn't noticed, the prices of hard drives seem to have fallen a
>bit, judging by the prices in the last MacUser. I bought a 105M external drive
>from Hard Drives International (the brand is PowerDrive) for $399! I've had it
>now for a couple of weeks and it works just fine. The mechanism is a Quantum
>P105S, and the unit comes with a 30-day MBG and a 2-year warranty.

>reason for the ultra-low price (their 80M Quantum sells for $419--go figure!)
>is inventory reduction.

I took advantage of the general drop in price on Quantum 105s as
well.  I got mine from Relax Technologies out in California.  Got
the drive a few days ago.  I was expecting to get one of the P105Ss,
since that seems to be what Quantum is having their fire sale on.
So I was surprised to find out that the drive inside my box is
actually one of the new LPS105s.  If I'm not mistaken, this is one
of the new 1/3 height drives, right?  I can't imagine that there
would be a reason for me to be upset about this, but is there?  What,
other than height, is the difference between the LPS105 and the
P105S?  Access time?  MTBF?
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

Nothing falls up without being hurled