[comp.sys.mac.misc] Norton $49 bargain, and System 7.0

drewster@orion.oac.uci.edu (Andrew T. Laurence) (03/22/91)

Well, it seems that the Norton fire sale is due to the fact that Directory
Assistance pukes at the sight of system 7, and the other way round.  Is D.A.
the ONLY part of Norton that doesn't get along with 7.0?  For that matter,
how much of Norton will be redundant with 7.0?

And while we're talking about the redundancy of utilities, how about Now?
SAM?

--Andrew Laurence

labc-1ic@e260-1f.berkeley.edu (Willy S. Liao) (03/22/91)

In article <27E9143A.1696@orion.oac.uci.edu> drewster@orion.oac.uci.edu (Andrew T. Laurence) writes:
>Well, it seems that the Norton fire sale is due to the fact that Directory
>Assistance pukes at the sight of system 7, and the other way round.  Is D.A.
>the ONLY part of Norton that doesn't get along with 7.0?  For that matter,
>how much of Norton will be redundant with 7.0?

Sorry, Norton Disk Doctor does NOT get along with system 7 right now (no, it
doesn't crash--it displays a friendly dialog saying that your directory
has been altered by System 7 and that you should call Symantec about getting
a compatible version).  System 7's new File Manager/BTree Manager apparently
writes additional stuff to the directory structure which will require
revision of all disk-recovery programs (ex: 911 Utils says the disk is very
badly damaged, when in fact it works fine).  Speed Disk seems OK, but I have
been told that Finder 7 maps out bad sectors on disks now & that this may
confuse optimizer programs (I don't know if Speed Disk is confused by this).
At any rate, I don't think any disk recovery program will be redundant with
System 7--who knows, the extra complexity may make it even more necessary to
get such a program...

>And while we're talking about the redundancy of utilities, how about Now?
>SAM?

SAM, I don't think will be redundant at all.  A system 7 version (v3) has
already been frozen &/or is shipping, I was told (I'm sure it works on older
Systems, it just now works with System 7, among other things).  As for NOW,
NOW Menus is somewhat less necessary, as is MultiMaster.  But Super Boomerang
is just as useful under System 7 as before.  NOW Utils will probably be
revised for System 7 (the menu routines have changed somewhat, & Super
Boomerang looks funny in the new SF dialog).

Willy Liao
labc-1ic@web.berkeley.edu