[comp.sys.mac.misc] TrueType

ac3a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Axel Cleeremans) (03/19/91)

     Out of curiosity, I installed TrueType on my 6.0.7 cx system. I
didn't like the results that much, and I would like to find out whether
it is because of the way TrueType is or because of something else. I put
the TrueType init in my system folder, and used Suitcase II 1.2.8 to
open the TrueType fonts suitcase. Just to make sure that the things I
comment on below were not due to Suitcase, I later installed the fonts
directly into my system file.
    Here is what I don't like : First, it appears that screen updates
are noticeably slower than with the standard fonts. Scrolling in
WriteNow!, for instance, was annoyingly slower than before. Second, I
could not get text to appear bold on the screen when using Times 10 pt,
or any other TrueType 10 pt font, except for Symbol. The spacing is a
little different, but the characters are not thicker, as they used to be
with the standard fonts. Is this the way it was designed? If yes, then
what happened to WYSIWYG? If no, could somebody explain to me what I
should do to make the fonts work correctly?

Axel Cleeremans

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) (03/19/91)

In article <obtEWje00Uh_M2f0Uv@andrew.cmu.edu> ac3a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Axel Cleeremans) writes:
>Second, I
>could not get text to appear bold on the screen when using Times 10 pt,
>or any other TrueType 10 pt font, except for Symbol. The spacing is a
>little different, but the characters are not thicker, as they used to be
>with the standard fonts. Is this the way it was designed? If yes, then
>what happened to WYSIWYG? If no, could somebody explain to me what I
>should do to make the fonts work correctly?

Well, TrueType is WYSIWYG, both only within the limits of what 72 dpi can
accomplish.

Personally, I think it would be a good idea for the TrueType people to add
some sort of special algorithm for generating very small sized bold type
on-screen.  The problem is that in the current fonts, no extra width for
bold is allowed, so either your bold characters look just like your normal
ones, or they look bold, but they're unreadable because there's not enough
room to represent them faithfully.  I don't think there's an easy answer
to this.
--
---- Seth Tisue                     USMail: c/o Plaster Cramp Press
---- (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu)                       P.O. Box 5975

djm@pro-odyssey.cts.com (David McDowell) (03/22/91)

Alright, here's dumb question number 256 in a series of 12, where do I get
a copy of TrueType and what is "apple.com"???????????
----
ProLine:  djm@pro-odyssey
Internet: djm@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!djm