[comp.sys.mac.misc] ColorDesk and PICT images problem.

alfredo@cca.PUE.UDLAP.MX (Alfredo de Regil) (03/22/91)

	HI! I am having troubles with PICT graphics for ColorDesk.
Usually I use Giffer (1.0) to convert the GIF graphics I download in UNIX to
the PICT format that ColorDesk requires. When I inspect these PICT images
Giffer display it identical but when I load it from ColorDesk they look
distortioned!
	Do you know of a better program that Giffer (if this is the problem)
or have any tip I shoul know? Plesea e-mail any comment, Thanks!

* Alfredo De Regil Salinas                       Universidad de las Americas *
* Ingenieria de Proyectos                        Puebla,                     *
* Centro de Computo                              Mexico                      *
*                                                                            *
* E-mail:                                                                    *
* Bitnet address          alfredo@udlapvms                 (Vax)             *
* Internet address        alfredo@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx    (Vax)             *
*                         alfredo@cca.pue.udlap.mx         (Sun)             *

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.193116.19499@cca.PUE.UDLAP.MX> alfredo@cca.PUE.UDLAP.MX (Alfredo de Regil) writes:
>	HI! I am having troubles with PICT graphics for ColorDesk.
>Usually I use Giffer (1.0) to convert the GIF graphics I download in UNIX to
>the PICT format that ColorDesk requires. When I inspect these PICT images
>Giffer display it identical but when I load it from ColorDesk they look
>distortioned!

It's not Giffer's fault -- it's colordesk's, I think. If ColorDesk is anything
like zDeskPict (the one I use) then it stretches any pict you use to fill your
desktop. So the way to avoid this is to make your pict already be the size of
your desktop. (ie. screen...)

"It's not a bug -- it's a FEATURE!"

Actually, that's true... it's just too bad you can't turn it off...

Ian Chai
chai@cs.ukans.edu
2fntnougat@ukanvax.bitnet
--
Ian Chai        Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu
                Bitnet:   2fntnougat@ukanvax

clay@claris.com (Clay A. Maeckel) (03/22/91)

alfredo@cca.PUE.UDLAP.MX (Alfredo de Regil) writes:
>Usually I use Giffer (1.0) to convert the GIF graphics I download in UNIX to
>the PICT format that ColorDesk requires. When I inspect these PICT images
>Giffer display it identical but when I load it from ColorDesk they look
>distortioned!

What is happening is that the picture you converted has a different color table
than the standard system color table. Giffer changes the table to display the
image correctly while ColorDesk does not. DeskPicture (part of the Now
Utilities commercial package) does the same things as ColorDesk plus additional
features like supporting custom color tables and custom scalings.

--Clay
(author of DeskPicture)
--
 Clay Maeckel         *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!clay
 (I know nothing!)    *   Internet:  clay@claris.com  *  GEnie: C.MAECKEL