[comp.sys.mac.misc] modems

hull@uicsltc.csl.uiuc.edu (Andrew W. Hull) (03/16/91)

I am interested in buying a low cost modem for my Mac SE.
Does anyone know about "Zoom Modems"?  They advertise a
2400 baud modem for $99.  Is this a good buy?  If not,
what else should I consider?

Thanks for any advice.

andy hull

hull@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu

wjb@edsr.eds.com (Bill Biesty) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar15.175639.18226@roundup.crhc.uiuc.edu> hull@uicsltc.csl.uiuc.edu (Andrew W. Hull) writes:
->I am interested in buying a low cost modem for my Mac SE.
->Does anyone know about "Zoom Modems"?  They advertise a
->2400 baud modem for $99.  Is this a good buy?  If not,
->what else should I consider?
->
->Thanks for any advice.
->
->andy hull
->
->hull@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu

I have a mac SE and a Zoom modem.  Works fine.  I've had it for a year.
I paid $129 for mine 2 years ago so $99 is a good price.  They also
make a combo fax modem which I recently got a flyer in the mail about
which you might be interested in.

My version came with communications software called QuickLink II which
I found to be extremely buggy though it has features like cripting I
wanted.  i switched to Zmodem which I downloaded off of GEnie (with
QuickLink II :-)).  I haven't had any problems with Zmodem.

The only thing I can't tell you is how it stacks up to other modems.
Every modem review I see fails to include the Zoom modem.  I would
typically get 200 cps at 2400 baud on a local call to GEnie during
downloads.  It doesn't have MNP-5 (on the fly data compression).

Bill

stump@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Robert E Mitchell) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar15.175639.18226@roundup.crhc.uiuc.edu> hull@uicsltc.csl.uiuc.edu (Andrew W. Hull) writes:
>I am interested in buying a low cost modem for my Mac SE.
>Does anyone know about "Zoom Modems"?  They advertise a
>2400 baud modem for $99.  Is this a good buy?  If not,
>what else should I consider?

You should really consider the Teleport Modem from Global Village.  You can
get it mail order for about $125 including shipping (slightly more for fax
sending capability).  It is 2400 baud and completely Hayes compatible.
It also plugs into an ADB port (yes it includes a through box) and requires
no esxternal power supply.  It is tiny, so the software included places a menu
bar at the top of any Com. software you happen to be running.  A CDEV is
included thast allows you to monitor the status of the modem at any time.
The Teleport has won numerous awards (Best Com. product MacUser)  I have
been using mine for over a month and it is well worth the extra $25.

Stump (Eric Mitchell)
stump@unix.cis.pitt.edu