[comp.sys.mac.misc] Easy money

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (03/22/91)

Bill Tway said:
> Follow these instructions EXACTLY, and in 20 to 60 days you
> will have received well over $50,000.00 cash, all yours.

Uhh, this sounds horribly like a pyramid mailing scheme, which is
strictly illegal...

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.185114.7325@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
>Bill Tway said:
>> Follow these instructions EXACTLY, and in 20 to 60 days you
>> will have received well over $50,000.00 cash, all yours.
>
>Uhh, this sounds horribly like a pyramid mailing scheme, which is
>strictly illegal...

It is illegal to send it through the US Mail, but that does not cover
this, does it?

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

dbert@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.194246.7885@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:
>In article <1991Mar21.185114.7325@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
>>Bill Tway said:
>>> Follow these instructions EXACTLY, and in 20 to 60 days you
>>> will have received well over $50,000.00 cash, all yours.
>>
>>Uhh, this sounds horribly like a pyramid mailing scheme, which is
>>strictly illegal...
>
>It is illegal to send it through the US Mail, but that does not cover
>this, does it?

The internet crosses state lines, which would make this a federal matter.  And
yes, it is *highly* illegal.  You are talking not about six months in jail
but 15-20 years in a federal prison.  Please don't do this so we can all save
our tax dollars for beneficial things (like NSF funding of the Internet!)
rather than wasting it feeding and clothing yet another white collar criminal
for a minimum of five years (with good behaviour) :)

Doug Siebert                                     dbert@gnu.ai.mit.edu
MBA Student (2nd year)
The University of Iowa

rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) (03/22/91)

tway@mwk.uucp (Bill Tway) writes:

[a lot of stuff about making $50,000 deleted]

Could someone tell me what this has to do Macintoshes. Anyone?
--
+ John Mazzocchi              +   "The mind is not a vessel to be filled, +
+ Melbourne, Victoria         +    but a fire to be lighted" - Plutarch   +

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.194246.7885@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:

>>> Follow these instructions EXACTLY, and in 20 to 60 days you
>>> will have received well over $50,000.00 cash, all yours.
>>
>>Uhh, this sounds horribly like a pyramid mailing scheme, which is
>>strictly illegal...
>
>It is illegal to send it through the US Mail, but that does not cover
>this, does it?

But if this pyramid e-mail scheme DID work, you would have some
tens of thousands of email messages choking the system for the purpose
NOT of disseminating information, but just to make $ for a few folks...

--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *

francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar21.225547.2580@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) writes:
   tway@mwk.uucp (Bill Tway) writes:
   [a lot of stuff about making $50,000 deleted]

   Could someone tell me what this has to do Macintoshes. Anyone?

Roughly the same thing it has to do with the subjects in
comp.sys.ibm.pc.<I-forget>, comp.sys.amiga.hardware, rec.video, etc.

His news admin was notified, and has explained to him that this is
completely inappropriate behavior.

You might want to let your local sysadmins know about the message;
they can "grep the history file for mwk, and should find 8-10 messages
containing this stuff."  Make sure you let them know the article
number on the local machine, if you can; it will make their
search-and-destroy mission much easier.

RDF
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org.org (Jim Spencer) (03/24/91)

Douglas Siebert writes in a message to All

>It is illegal to send it through the US Mail, but that does not cover
>this, does it?
>
DS> The internet crosses state lines, which would make this a federal
DS> matter. And yes, it is *highly* illegal. You are talking not
DS> about six months in jail but 15-20 years in a federal prison.
DS> Please don't do this so we can all save our tax dollars for beneficial
DS> things (like NSF funding of the Internet!) rather than wasting
DS> it feeding and clothing yet another white collar criminal for
DS> a minimum of five years (with good behaviour) :)

It is also illegal under most State laws as well.  You are correct that it doesn't matter that its sent by electronic means rather than paper.