[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple does NOT make less money on student-sales...

werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (03/23/91)

	this is a persistent FALSE belief that has repeatedly surfaced over
	the years.  Apple has ...

	+ ...ALWAYS received wholesale prices for machines sold to students
	  (and, well, ours was, and may still be, the store selling more
	   Macs than any other in the world)

	+ ...has received many INVALUABLE and UNTOLD helpful services
	  in return.

	+ ...has spend RELATIVELY LITTLE on adverising in that market

	+ ... the MAC (and possibly Apple) might NOT HAVE SURVIVED the
	  problems of 1985, had it not had the university consortium stores
	  income as the Mac was a complete business failure then and Apple
	  on the ropes in the managerial, engineering and the moral department
	  (and if AT&T had had any sense, they would have bought the whole
	   company then, sitting fat and pretty today, instead of chasing a
	   losing proposition such as pursueing whats-their-name);  not to
	  mention the sales and support work done by the many who "evangelized"
	  friends, family and acquaintances *AND* businesses - just because
	  they were enamoured with the Mac and its potential and what the
	  company once stood for (so?  haven't you ever been enfatuated without
	  well-founded rhyme and reason?  expect no apology from me!  ;-)

	I don't know how typical the local university consortium store and
	university is, but I believe of ours that:

	+ it is, if not the first, certainly the most profitable operation
	  run by the student union - which, by the way, has always been
	  questioned (and deservedly so, in my opinion) in its benefits to
	  students, not run by (or responsible to) students (but the regents
	  rather, maybe not really surprising, unless you came here used to
	  European conditions, or simply a "trouble-maker" questioning the
	  fairness of "the deal" students get in US universities.

	+ has always seemed TO ME an "obscure outfit run irresponsibly
	  wasting (student?) moneys (the union) and not accountable or
	  responsive to student interests or concerns" (seems like a proper
	  description most anything done by the union)

	+ is as unpleasant and obnoxious to do business with, that it would
	  not last for a week in the open market, was it not for the (nowadays
	  only slight) advantage in price and location it offers to the
	  students, and the limitations put on university departments (which
	  allows them to spend money there with a paper transfer, but makes
	  spending money outside the university - such as 'mail-order; or 'by
	  messenger delivery' - "hell to pay";  ask me about repair horror
	  stories I have heard, or the inability to get third-party add-on
	  alternatives in this 'captured market')

	In my 18 years of acquaintance I have come to regard the local
	Student Union (and their micro-computer shop now in its 7th year)
	as a disgrace in "service and value" (versus what I think they should
	be).  I still remember a period when the student union building was
	closed for nearly 4 years "for renovations" (which turned out as
	non-functional and costly as the floors of the University chief
	executives in many ways) while student HAD TO pay (steadily rising)
	union fees, possibly for a whole undergraduate carreer of "reduced
	services".

	And the Micro-computer store pays slave wages (of course! reflects
	the regards for an undergraduate around here - and those qualifying
	for better wouldn't go work there, would they now?),  makes you waste
	HOURS for the simplest of purchases (university employees ABSOLUTELY
	HATE to have to go there - so does everyone else in their right mind),
	people there all seem to have an attitude saying "we are doing you
	a favour" (making you wonder if this is part of indoctrination),
	while demonstrating mostly only rudimentary knowledge of the stuff
	they are selling and of the computer market and technology, in
	general (below even other computer stores in the area)

	All in all, I am often amazed that Apple and the local university
	store have survided, wonder how much longer until the competitive
	market (and many people disgusted by consumer-unfriendly attitude
	and behavior) and consumer reaction will put both out of business;
	not that I wish that to happen, I'd much rather see "change for the
	better" because I believe "better" for students (and customers in
	general) IS compatible with successfully running a business...

ps: this was many years in coming and I'll probably get 'hell to pay'
	for letting the world know what I think....   think of this as
	a one-sided opinion that comes out a lot more angrily than if
	similar sentiments found expressed and were taken into consideration
	more often.

btw: has it often (enough) been stated that students DESERVE to get to buy
	computers "at cost" or even subsidized by the university or society?
	After all, changes and advantages have been to their benefit; to wit:
	20+ years ago the universities provided me with a multi-million
	dollar computer to do my study-related work on, no extra-charge,
	today they nickel-and-dime students to death with "additional
	computer user fees", "modem use fees", "printer paper fees".
	"computer literacy courses" fees for courses taught by the computer
	center, etc, etc.  When a student buys a computer and modem and
	printer to do his work, he relieves the university of providing him
	with the resources that it used to provide, and it boggles the mind
	why the consortium store should work on a "for profit" basis rather
	then having the whole operation heavily subsidized by the university;
	and I believe even the purchase-price of the computer itself should
	be subsidized with a interest-free loan and as a tax-deductable
	expense (I am in danger to go after THAT topic another day...)

	Not to speak of the social unfairness for students not able to
	afford to buy their own computers - at every semester deadline
	I see students "loosing" battling for the insufficient number of
	public access machines, loosing out when the main-frames crunch to
	a halt or the "funny-money" funding runs out in their accounts,
	requiring days, even a week before they can work again - of course,
	while the deadline affecting their grade has come and gone....

	-+-   -+-  -+-   -+-  -+-   -+-  -+-   -+-  -+-
	 | Internet:	werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu |
	 |		werner@cs.utexas.edu	     |
	 | BITnet:		werner@UTXVM	     |
	 | UUCP:     ...!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!werner  |
	-+-   -+-  -+-   -+-  -+-   -+-  -+-   -+-  -+-

Thoguht-of-the-Week:

	Iraq, Kuweit, Israel, Jordan, US, Russia, Turkey, Mexico, Panama,
	El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Germany, Ireland, India, Burma,
	China, South Africa, Ethiopia, Chad, Lybia, Marocco....

	Hamlet is right:  Something is rotten, but not just in Denmark.

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (03/23/91)

Sounds terrible.
The Apple operation at UWisc-Madison is run by the computing center,
not a student union, and is well-staffed and easy to deal with.

Maybe you should move here?

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

mkelly@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) (03/24/91)

In article <4098@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:

>Sounds terrible.
>The Apple operation at UWisc-Madison is run by the computing center,
>not a student union, and is well-staffed and easy to deal with.
>
>Maybe you should move here?

Same goes for U of Oregon.  (Although the staff is often not very
knowledgeable.)

Mike.
Michael A. Kelly                                   America Online: Michael792
mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu                                  Compu$erve: 73567,1651