[comp.sys.mac.misc] MAC LC IIe Card ?

21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) (03/18/91)

Does this thing exist yet ?  Does anybody have one ?  Does it work well ?
I am trying to put together a system for a teacher, and was wondering if I
should suggest selling her Apple IIe.

Thanks,

Mark

prw@Apple.COM (Paul Wenker) (03/19/91)

In article <89121602MR@MSU> 21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:
>Does this thing exist yet ?  Does anybody have one ?  Does it work well ?
>I am trying to put together a system for a teacher, and was wondering if I
>should suggest selling her Apple IIe.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark

Personally, I would say it works great, but I'm a bit prejudice.  We tested
it with 400+ programs, with an emphasis on educational packages, and had
over 98% compatability.  If it's not already available, it should be
"real soon now".

-Paul Wenker
-Engineer, IIe Card

tilley@ssd.kodak.com (David Tilley) (03/19/91)

In article <50407@apple.Apple.COM> prw@Apple.COM (Paul Wenker) writes:
>In article <89121602MR@MSU> 21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:
>>Does this thing exist yet ?  Does anybody have one ?  Does it work well ?
>>I am trying to put together a system for a teacher, and was wondering if I
>>should suggest selling her Apple IIe.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mark
>
>Personally, I would say it works great, but I'm a bit prejudice.  We tested
>it with 400+ programs, with an emphasis on educational packages, and had
>over 98% compatability.  If it's not already available, it should be
>"real soon now".
>
>-Paul Wenker
>-Engineer, IIe Card

I am interested  in attaching an LC to robots. There are Apple IIe
programs for this. The problem is that almost none of those
who make robots for education use anything but game ports or serial ports.

I have not seen this IIe card. Does it give you access to game ports?

dave

prw@Apple.COM (Paul Wenker) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar19.151907.24745@ssd.kodak.com> tilley@ssd.kodak.com (David Tilley) writes:
>I am interested  in attaching an LC to robots. There are Apple IIe
>programs for this. The problem is that almost none of those
>who make robots for education use anything but game ports or serial ports.
>
>I have not seen this IIe card. Does it give you access to game ports?
>
>dave

The card comes with a Y-cable that sticks out the back of the LC.  One end
is for connecting IIe disk drives, the other is for connecting paddles or a
joystick.  The joystick/paddles connector is the 9 pin style that is on the
back of the IIe, not the 16 pin DIP socket that's inside on the motherboard.

The card also gives IIe programs access to both Mac serial ports via two
simulated Super Serial Cards.

-Paul Wenker
-Apple Computer, Inc.

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (03/24/91)

This is out of c.s.m.hardware, and is directed back there, but seems to be
of more general interest, so that's why the X-post.

In comp.sys.mac.hardware, carlc@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bobby Clark) writes:
>Will the IIe card (or software bundled with it) allow transfer of files from
>ProDOS to Mac/OS? I am especially interested in files on 5.25 ProDOS disks...I
>need a quick solution to getting to those files to the Mac side of the house.
>Does make it easier to transfer those types of files?

Here is a possible software solution.  I just got the spring 91
"Macintosh Educational Software Collection" by the "Chariot Software
Group" and in it there is a program listing which says:

"II in a Mac"
Not compatible with LogoWriter
$150
[in part]
"This emulator allows you to access & operator thousands of Apple II
software programs with full use of Desk Accessories and 'Cut & Paste'
to the Macintosh clipboard.  'II in a Mac' also allows you to convert
AppleWorks(tm) data files (or any other Apple II data file) into
standard Macintosh text files that can then be used..."  and vice versa
(text files).  "Apple 3.5 inch Unidisks(tm) can be used directly in
800K Macintosh disk drives.  Apple II 5 1/4 inch diskettes are easily
transferred to and from the Mac by cable with special transfer software
included with this package (cables sold separately).  Programmers can
develop Apple II software using Integer BASIC, AppleSoft BASIC, or
machine language.  Apple II softswitches & ROM hardware locations are
fully supported!"

That said, this said:  I haven't ever heard of this place, or this
product before!  The catalog passed by me by chance.  It seems to
be completely legit.  Anyone know of them??

There is no listing for who did the program, it appears to be
commercial tho.  For comparison, After Dark is listed at $40 (quantity
discounts available).

Chariot Software Group
Suite 100C
San Diego, CA  92103
For more Information:  (619) 298-0202
Order:  (800) 242-7468
AppleLink:  D0452
Fax:  (619) 491-0021

If anyone knows about this product, or this company, please followup with
comments.

--
Brian Aslakson
	brian@cs.umn.edu (mail)