[comp.sys.mac.misc] Higher Education Purchase Program Restrictions // CMU

lerman@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven P Lerman) (03/24/91)

A few questions about Apple's Higher Education Purchase Program.

Background:

Here at Purdue, I purchased a Mac II about 2 1/2 years ago.  Under
the program, I'm allowed to purchase just one CPU.  Next year, I'll
be transferring to Carnegie Mellon for Grad. School.

1) Can I purchase a second CPU at CMU?  In other words, am I allowed
one CPU per school, or just one CPU?  My intentions are to upgrade
to a faster/newer (one that includes a SuperDrive) unit, not to
sell one for a profit, so please let's not go through another
week long thread similar to the one a couple weeks ago.

2) Does Carnegie Mellon participate in the purchase program?

3) Do I have to be enrolled at CMU for a certain amount of time
before I can participate, or can I make a purchase my first
semester

On another topic...

4) Any thoughts on the new Personal Laserwriter LS vs. the old SC
or the Personal Laserwriter NT?  Can't decide how important
Postscript is now that Truetype is out.  I'm leaning away from the LS
due to the stories about how slow it is.

While I'm here...

I'd love to here from an EE at CMU (esp. someone in the MS/IN program)
to get some info about Pitt, housing, CMU etc...

Thanks in advance for the info.
Steven Lerman                        BS: Bull....
e-mail: lerman@ecn.purdue.edu        MS: More ....
                                    PhD: Piled Higher and Deeper

In article <1991Mar24.014043.16925@en.ecn.purdue.edu> lerman@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven P Lerman) writes:
>A few questions about Apple's Higher Education Purchase Program.
>
>Background:
>
>Here at Purdue, I purchased a Mac II about 2 1/2 years ago.  Under
>the program, I'm allowed to purchase just one CPU.  Next year, I'll
>be transferring to Carnegie Mellon for Grad. School.
>
>1) Can I purchase a second CPU at CMU?  In other words, am I allowed
>one CPU per school, or just one CPU?  My intentions are to upgrade
>to a faster/newer (one that includes a SuperDrive) unit, not to
>sell one for a profit, so please let's not go through another
>week long thread similar to the one a couple weeks ago.

Under the UMCP Computer Emporium rules, one is permitted to buy 1 Apple CPU
every 24 months, and after owning the unit for 24 months, you can re-sell it
to anyone.  I suspect that the one cpu rule at Purdue applies only to Purdue
(is not mandated by Apple), so you shouldn't have any problem at CMU.

Or maybe UMCP is special.... but I doubt it.