[comp.sys.mac.misc] On Cue Stopped....

kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) (03/23/91)

Hi,
   I was using On Cue with my mac with no problem at all.  On day, I restarted
my machine, and I noticed it was gone.  When checking with INIT CDEV, it was
still listed and highlighted, meaning that it should be working.  I tried
taking all INITS off excpet On Cue, but that didn't work either.  Any
suggestions?  I'm all out of ideas.  Thanks.

                                       Kent P. Iler

---You cannot achieve the impossible without attempting the absurd---
Kent P. Iler              | Internet : kentiler@ksuvm.ksu.edu
Kansas State University   |          : kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
Cardwell Hall-RM 25       | Bitnet   : kentiler@ksuvm
Manhattan, Kansas 66506   Mainframe Consultant

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.165843.19687@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) writes:
>Hi,
>   I was using On Cue with my mac with no problem at all.  On day, I restarted
>my machine, and I noticed it was gone.  When checking with INIT CDEV, it was
>still listed and highlighted, meaning that it should be working.  I tried
>taking all INITS off excpet On Cue, but that didn't work either.  Any
>suggestions?  I'm all out of ideas.  Thanks.

This sounds familiar. It has happened to me a couple of times. I just reinstall the software and reconfigure it. I can not figure out a pattern, it has
happened probably two or three times in the last year.

--
X-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-X
X	           David Baird			xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

mazu@terre (Marc Mazuhelli) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar22.165843.19687@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) writes:
>Hi,
>   I was using On Cue with my mac with no problem at all.  On day, I restarted
>my machine, and I noticed it was gone.  When checking with INIT CDEV, it was
>still listed and highlighted, meaning that it should be working.  I tried
>taking all INITS off excpet On Cue, but that didn't work either.  Any
>suggestions?  I'm all out of ideas.  Thanks.
>
>                                       Kent P. Iler
>
>Kent P. Iler              | Internet : kentiler@ksuvm.ksu.edu
>Kansas State University   |          : kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu

This happened to me once or twice.  The solution was to reinstall the
init from the original floppy (and of course to re-configure all the
applications and documents!).  I don`t know why the INIT gets
corrupted like that but I now keep a copy of the OnCue INIT (which
contains the list of appls/docs that are configured) just in case it
happens again.  If the copy is left in the system folder, you have to
make sure the copy is de-activated (with an INIT manager, for example)
so that only one copy loads.

I realize this doesn`t explain why this happens but it offers a
solution in case it happens again...

--
{  Marc Mazuhelli                   |  professeur                  }
{  internet: mazu@dmi.USherb.CA     |  Departement de math-info.   }

brad@aerospace.aero.org (Bradley A. West) (03/26/91)

> >Hi, > I was using On Cue with my mac with no problem at all. On day,
> I >restarted >my machine, and I noticed it was gone. When checking
> with INIT CDEV, >it was >still listed and highlighted, meaning that
> it should be working. I >tried >taking all INITS off excpet On Cue,
> but that didn't work either. Any >suggestions? I'm all out of ideas.
> Thanks. >
>
> This happened to me once or twice. The solution was to reinstall the
> init from the original floppy (and of course to re-configure all the
> applications and documents!). I don`t know why the INIT gets
> corrupted like that but I now keep a copy of the OnCue INIT (which
> contains the list of appls/docs that are configured) just in case it
> happens again. If the copy is left in the system folder, you have to
> make sure the copy is de-activated (with an INIT manager, for
> example) so that only one copy loads.
>
> I realize this doesn`t explain why this happens but it offers a
> solution in case it happens again...

I have had this same problem with other INITs as well as some applications at
work when the power fails.  I have found a bit of an easier solution that has
worked in every case I've tried.  I believe what happens in situations like
these is that the system drops the end-of-file mark from OnCue, etc.
I use MacSnoop (a shareware program that allows data fork editing) and open
the data fork of the malfunctioning program (assuming it has one), then set
the end-of-file to the _physical_ end-of-file.
MacSnoop should be available on sumex.
Hope this helps!
- Brad -