[comp.sys.mac.misc] comments on the Laserwriter LS

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (03/23/91)

Several days ago I asked for comments on the LS. The few that trickled
in only pointed out that it was slow. That I can live with. What I
want to know is what the output looks like. Not just the TrueType
fonts but on other types of output as well.

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar22.182031.15931@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>
hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:
> ...What I
> want to know is what the output looks like. Not just the TrueType
> fonts but on other types of output as well.

Except for TrueType fonts, the output from the LS will be essentially the
same as output from the LaserWriter IISC.  The quality depends quite a bit
on the application.  If the application takes advantage of the 300 dpi
resolution of the printer, the output *can* be as good as Postscript, with
the exception of the rendering of grays with halftone dot patterns --
Postscript provides this and QuickDraw does not, and I don't know of any
applications that roll their own halftoning for a non-Postscript printer.

A few applications do roll their own spline-drawing, making the LS as good
as any Postscript printer for imaging smooth curves.  I know of just one
application (MacDraw II) that does the work of rotating text to arbitrary
angles for a non-Postscript printer.

However, many high-end graphics applications are written with Postscript
in mind, and treat all non-Postscript printers as ImageWriters.  They
produce good results on the LS (or SC) for *simple* graphics, but you will
see the difference if you are trying to print something subtle.  This is a
shame, and perhaps it will change as non-Postscript printers become more
popular.

To summarize, if you are after fancy desktop-publishing graphics, or fine
art, you probably want Postscript, for now.  Otherwise, the non-Postscript
LaserWriters will do a good job for you.

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!